Oversight of the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales
Under the Finance Committee’s remit, it is responsible for oversight of the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales (PSOW).
In accordance with the Public Services Ombudsman (Wales) Act 2019 (“PSOA 2019”) and SO 18A.2, the Committee’s responsibilities are to:
- review the operation and effect of the PSOA 2019;
- determine the terms that apply to an appointment of a PSOW;
- exercise the functions in relation to disqualification from holding certain offices for a relevant period once a person has ceased to hold office as PSOW;
- examine the estimate of income and expenses for the PSOW’s office for each financial year;
- consider any supplementary budget motions that seek to amend amounts previously authorised by a budget resolution or supplementary budget resolution in respect of the PSOW;
- advise the Senedd on the appointment and removal from office of the PSOW or an Acting PSOW.
The Acting PSOW’s term of office is due to end on 31 March 2022.
The Committee’s oversight of budgetary functions can be viewed on our webpages.
During the Fifth Senedd term the Equality and Local Government Committee was responsible for the non-budgetary oversight of the PSOW. Any documents relating to the appointment of the PSOW for this period can be viewed via the following link (Fifth Senedd documents – PSOW appointment process). Scrutiny of the PSOW’s annual reports during this period can be viewed via the following link (Fifth Senedd documents - Scrutiny of the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales annual report)
The Finance Committee published their report on the Nomination of the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales on 19 January 2022.
Business type: Committee Inquiry
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
First published: 16/07/2021
- Letter from the Chair of the Finance Committee to the Public and Commercial Services Union regarding the use of ‘fire and rehire’ by Welsh public sector bodies – 28 April 2022 PDF 96 KB
- Letter from the Public and Commercial Services Union to the Chair of the Finance Committee regarding the use of ‘fire and rehire’ by Welsh public sector bodies – 25 April 2022 PDF 151 KB
- Finance Committee report: Nomination of the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales - January 2022 PDF 318 KB