Welsh Government budget
The Welsh Government must lay its draft budget for the next financial year before the Senedd to allow scrutiny of its proposals by the Finance Committee. Other Senedd Committees may also consider the draft budget before it is finalised. The Senedd Research Service has produced a Quick Guide on the budget process in Wales (PDF, 163KB).
The Welsh Government may vary its final budgets by publishing one or more supplementary budgets to be scrutinised by the Finance Committee ahead of a motion for them to be approved by the Senedd.
The Senedd and the Welsh Government have agreed a budget protocol (PDF, 310KB) for the principles underpinning this budget process.
All information in relation to the Finance Committee’s scrutiny of the Welsh Government’s draft budgets and supplementary budgets can be found below:
Draft Budget for 2021-22 (Scrutinised by the Fifth Senedd Finance Committee)
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
Type: For information
First published: 15/07/2021
- Letter from the Convener of the Finance and Public Administration Committee, Scottish Parliament: Collaborative working – 29 September 2021 PDF 164 KB
- Letter from the Chairperson of the Northern Ireland Assembly Committee for Finance to the Chair of the Finance Committee regarding collaborative working - 3 September 2021 PDF 118 KB
- Letter from the Welsh Affairs Committee to the Chair of the Finance Committee regarding future collaboration - 26 July 2021 PDF 89 KB
- Letter from the Chief Secretary to the Treasury to the Chairperson of the Northern Ireland Assembly Committee For Finance regarding devolved budget process - 13 July 2021 PDF 81 KB
- Letter to the Welsh Affairs Committee regarding future collaborative working - 12 July 2021 PDF 315 KB
- Letter to the Conveyor of the Scottish Parliament Finance and Public Administration Committee and the Chairperson of the Northern Ireland Assembly Committee for Finance - 8 July 2021 PDF 228 KB
- Letter from the Chairperson of the Northern Ireland Assembly Committee for Finance to the Chief Secretary to the Treasury regarding devolved budget process - 28 May 2021 PDF 120 KB