Inquiry on the Disqualification of Members from the National Assembly for Wales
The Constitutional and Legislative Affairs Committee has agreed to undertake an inquiry into the Disqualification of Members from the National Assembly for Wales and is consulting on specific issues.
The Committee is undertaking the inquiry following a request from the First Minister. The Committee’s report will inform the Welsh Government’s consideration of the content of the next National Assembly for Wales Disqualification Order, which will need to be made prior to the next Assembly elections in May 2016.The terms of reference for the inquiry are to:
- the principles underpinning the disqualifying posts and employments contained in the National Assembly for Wales (Disqualification) Order 2010 and, so far as possible, to recommend a new list of disqualifying posts and employments;
- the timing of when disqualifications take effect; and
- whether Disqualification Orders should be made by Privy Council in bilingual form.
- any other matters relating to disqualification from being an Assembly Member.
Evidence from the Public
The Committee held a public consultation to gather evidence on this topic.
Business type: Committee Inquiry
First published: 14/03/2014
- Inquiry into the Disqualification of Membership from the National Assembly for Wales: Report - July 2014
- Letter from the First Minister to the Chair, 3 August 2015 PDF 168 KB
- Correspondence from the First Minister, 16 May 2014 PDF 190 KB
- Correspondence from the First Minister, 6 March 2014 PDF 116 KB
- Correspondence from the First Minister to the Presiding Officer, 27 January 2014 PDF 2 MB
- Letter from the Petitions Committee to the Chair, 6 February 2013 PDF 452 KB