P-03-240 Road safety on the A40 in Llanddewi Velfrey
Due to the increasing levels of traffic, especially heavy goods vehicles, on the A40 and due to the inadequate provision of safe pavements and pedestrian crossings acknowledged by the Trunk Road Agency through research on behalf of the Welsh Assembly Government we, the undersigned, hereby demand the Welsh Assembly Government, as a matter of urgency, improve road safety in the village of Llanddewi Velfrey, Narberth, Pembrokeshire through implementation of the following measures:
1. Improve the inadequate pavement along the southern side of the A40 between Llandaff Row and the far eastern end of the village to ensure that it meets current safety standards, that it is sufficiently wide for the safe use of pedestrians, pushchairs and wheel chair users taking into consideration the proximity of heavy goods traffic passing by at speeds often in excess of the current limit of 40mph.
2. Install speed cameras at the eastern and western ends of the village.
3. Utilise the existing electrical installation for road crossing signs to provide flashing warning lights at times when children will be crossing the A40 to catch their school bus.
4. Install traffic calming measures at each end of the village and at road junctions to emphasise the need to reduce speed.
5. Reduce the speed limit to 30mph.
Llanddewi Velfrey Community Council
Business type: Petition
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
Status: For consideration