P-06-1168 Consider re-doing this current academic year for students across wales
This petition was submitted by Hayley Whittington-Pike, having collected a total of 184 signatures.
Text of Petition:
I implore the government to consider re-doing this academic year, should school closures become part of the “fire break” restrictions. It isn’t fair to expect the children to catch up with last years missed education, whilst having a stop/start academic year this year. Our children should not be prevented from achieving their full potential, and nor should we as parents be accepting that they just - get by. Not all children have the same luxuries of parents at home to help/access to resources.
The Committee considered the petition for the first time and considering the Welsh Government previously rejecting proposals for pupils to repeat the school year and the alternative recovery plan that it has published the Committee agreed to:
· write to the Minister for Education and the Welsh Language to seek an update on the issues raised in the petition; and
· once a response is received from the Minister it agreed to close the petition and thank the petitioner.
Full details of the consideration of this petition by the Committee and related documents can be seen on the Meetings tab above.
It was first considered by the Petitions Committee on 16/07/2021.
- Newport East
- South Wales East
- The Petitions Committee homepage
- View all open petitions
- View all petitions the committee is currently considering
- How the petitions system works
Business type: Petition
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
Status: For consideration
First published: 30/06/2021