P-05-1133 Adapt the teacher training syllabus to include Transformational Coaching and Emotional Intelligence
This petition was submitted by Tracey Jones, having collected a total of 193 signatures.
Text of Petition:
A survey has found that up to 33.6% of teachers have said they planned to leave the profession. Adding the proposed subjects to the syllabus will give teachers a new skill-set to support with current pressures & also enable our next generation of children to develop resilience & to better understand their emotions. Neuroscience is evolving & evidence points to a much needed change. This will firmly impact the mental health of our next generation of children & Educators.
A lack of education towards our own internal systems & thought processes, is causing a rise in poor mental health. As times change, we must adapt. As an Ex Teacher, I understand the pressures that the system is under. Learning the strong skills of emotional intelligence, the soft skills of ‘Language Alchemy’ & transformational coaching will not only equip the teachers to manage the stressors of the role, but also support building mental fortitude. They can then pass these tools on to pupils, creating a new culture of self-awareness.
They will understand:
* The impact of language on the body & the deep-rooted questioning techniques that will allow them to self-coach through pressures & also teach our children how to self-coach
* Clearing negative language loops
* Understanding the components of our habits
* Reframe their internal dialogue: to become strategic with their thought patterns & release negative emotions
* Coach others during pivotal moments & downward spirals: in a calm manner.
The Committee noted that the Minister has set out how he is attempting to support education professionals through this extremely challenging time, the Committee therefore agreed to thank the petitioner and close the petition.
Full details of the consideration of this petition by the Committee and related documents can be seen on the Meetings tab above.
It was first considered by the Petitions Committee on 16/03/2021.
- Mid and West Wales
- The Petitions Committee homepage
- View all open petitions
- View all petitions the committee is currently considering
- How the petitions system works
Business type: Petition
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
Status: For consideration
First published: 08/03/2021