The Economy, Infrastructure and Skills Committee has agreed to undertake an inquiry into the Valleys Taskforce.
The Valleys Taskforce was established by the Welsh Government in July 2016, and will operate for the duration of the Fifth Assembly until March 2021. It was set up as a catalyst for delivering regeneration and sustainable growth in the South Wales Valleys.
The Taskforce has seven priority areas – entrepreneurship and business support; the foundational economy; housing; strategic hubs; transport; the Valleys Regional Park; and the Valleys Taskforce innovation fund.
Terms of reference
- To evaluate the extent to which the Valleys Taskforce is benefitting Valleys communities, and the performance of its specific policy initiatives in delivering successful outcomes that help to create sustainable growth and reduce poverty;
- To consider whether the Taskforce, and individual projects, have sufficiently targeted interventions in areas of the Valleys where they are most needed;
- To assess the impact of the changes to the Taskforce’s priorities announced by the Deputy Minister for Economy and Transport in July 2019 on its effectiveness;
- To determine how the Taskforce is working with, and adding value to, other economic development initiatives in the Valleys;
- To assess the extent to which the Taskforce has considered gender equality in developing workstreams, and how it will measure outcomes;
- To explore potential approaches the Welsh Government could take in its forthcoming economic strategy for the Heads of the Valleys, and which specific actions or policies should be included in this;
- To understand which additional short-term measures could be adopted to deliver positive outcomes for Valleys communities before the Taskforce disbands in March 2021.
- To consider how the Taskforce’s work should be taken forward after it disbands in March 2021, which workstreams should be prioritised by the Welsh Government, and the extent to which any change in approach might be required.
Business type: Committee Inquiry
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
First published: 26/02/2020
- Valleys Taskforce (completed)