Welcome to the Senedd's new website. If you have any difficulty using this site please get in touch.
Renting Homes (Amendment) (Wales) Bill
A Welsh Government Bill, introduced by Julie James MS, Minister for Housing and Local Government. The Business Committee has remitted the Bill to the Equality, Local Government and Communities Committee.
About the Bill
The Bill proposes to amend the Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016 prior to its coming into force to provide greater security for people who rent their homes in Wales, in particular those who live in the private rented sector.
Further detail about the Bill can be found in its accompanying Explanatory Memorandum (PDF, 1MB).
The Bill is currently at post-Stage 4. An explanation of the various stages of Assembly Bills is available in the Guide to the Stages of Public Bills and Acts.
Record of Passage in the Senedd
The following table sets out the dates for each stage of the Bill’s passage through the Senedd.
Bill introduced: 10 February 2020
Renting Homes (Amendment) (Wales) Bill (PDF, 165KB), as introduced
Explanatory Memorandum (PDF, 1MB)
Presiding Officer’s Statement (PDF, 68KB): 10 February 2020
Statement of Policy Intent (PDF, 328KB)
Bilingual Glossary (PDF, 74KB)
Stage 1: Committee considerations of general principles
Public consultation. The Committee issued a call for evidence, which closed on 12 March 2020.
In addition to the consultation, the Committee also conducted a survey aimed at landlords on the Bill.
As part of the Committee’s scrutiny of the Bill, focus groups were held between February – March 2020 to gather the views of tenants and landlords across Wales.
The Equality, Local Government and Communities Committee will consider the Bill on the following dates:
On 14 July 2020 the Business Committee published a revised timetable for scrutiny of the Renting Homes (Amendment) (Wales) Bill. The new deadline for the Committee to report on its scrutiny of the Bill is 2 October 2020. The Committee held its final evidence session on 20 July, which can be viewed on SeneddTV.
The Finance Committee considered the Bill on the following dates:
The Equality, Local Government and Communities Committee laid its report on the Bill on 1 October 2020.
The Legislation, Justice and Constitution Committee laid its report on the Bill on 2 October 2020.
Stage 1: Debate in Plenary on general principles
The motion to agree the general principles of the Bill was agreed in Plenary on 13 October 2020.
A Financial Resolution in relation to the Renting Homes (Amendment) (Wales) Bill was agreed in Plenary on 13 October 2020.
Further information about financial resolutions is available in section 3 of the Guide to the scrutiny stages for Public Bills.
Stage 2: Committee consideration of amendments
Stage 2 began on 14 October 2020. Details of tabled amendments for consideration in Committee on 27 November 2020 are published here.
The Equality, Local Government and Communities Committee agreed on 9 November 2020, under Standing Order 26.21, that the order of consideration for Stage 2 proceedings will be:
Sections 1-3; Schedule 1; Sections 4-6; Schedule 2; Sections 7-10; Schedule 3; Section 11; Schedule 4; Sections 12-14; Schedule 5; Sections 15-16; Schedule 6; Sections 17 – 18; Long title.
Stage 2 consideration took place in Committee on 27 November 2020.
Stage 3: Plenary consideration of amendments
Following the completion of Stage 2 proceedings, Stage 3 commenced on 30 November 2020. Stage 3 consideration will take place in Plenary on 10 February 2021 to consider amendments to the Bill (as amended at Stage 2). The deadline for tabling amendments has now passed.
Stage 4: Passing of the Bill in Plenary
The Bill was agreed by the Senedd on 23 February 2021.
The Bill is now in the four week period (24 February – 23 March 2021) during which, the Counsel General or the Attorney General may refer the question whether the Bill, or any provision of the Bill, would be within the Assembly’s legislative competence to the Supreme Court for decision (section 112 of the Government of Wales Act). Similarly, the Secretary of State for Wales may make an order prohibiting the Presiding Officer from submitting the Bill for Royal Assent. An explanation of this stage can be found in the Guide to the Legislative Process – Stage 4.
Clerk: Naomi Stocks
Phone:0300 200 6565
Business type: Legislation
Status: For consideration
First published: 10/02/2020
- Notice of amendments - 20 November 2020 PDF 144 KB
- Letter from the Minister for Housing and Local Government to the Chair of the Legislation, Justice and Constitution Committee - 11 August 2020 PDF 615 KB
- Correspondence from the Minister for Housing and Local Government to Chair of the Finance Committee - 16 July 2020 PDF 602 KB
- Correspondence from the Minister for Housing and Local Government to the Chair - 10 July 2020 PDF 643 KB
- Correspondence to the Minister for Housing and Local Government regarding the cancelled session on 26 March – 31 March 2020 PDF 340 KB
- Letter to the Minister for Housing and Local Government, 30 March 2020 PDF 151 KB
- Correspondence from the Chair of the Legislative, Justice and Constitution Committee to the Minister for Housing and Local Government - 9 March 2020 PDF 272 KB
- Letter from the Llywydd to the Chair of the Legislation, Justice and Constitution Committee - 4 March 2020 PDF 106 KB
- Correspondence from the Llywydd to the Chair - 4 March 2020 PDF 106 KB
- Focus groups - summary note PDF 327 KB View as HTML (12) 78 KB
- Focus groups - survey analysis PDF 286 KB View as HTML (13) 79 KB
- Rhestr o welliannau wedi'u didoli - 27 Tachwedd 2020 PDF 159 KB
- Grouping of amendments - 27 November 2020 PDF 94 KB
- Renting Homes (Amendment) (Wales) Bill - As amended at Stage 2 PDF 163 KB
- Notice of amendments - 1 February 2021 v2 PDF 143 KB
- Notice of amendments - 2 February 2021 PDF 116 KB
- Notice of amendments - 3 February 2021 PDF 139 KB
- Marshalled List - 10 February 2021 PDF 225 KB
- Grouping of amendments - 10 February 2021 PDF 94 KB
- Renting Homes (Amendment) (Wales) Bill - as amended at Stage 3 PDF 173 KB
- Bill summary (after Stage 2) PDF 3 MB
- Renting Homes (Amendment) (Wales) Bill, as passed (unchecked) PDF 172 KB
- Statement of Policy Intent PDF 325 KB
- Bilingual glossary PDF 159 KB View as HTML (11) 86 KB
- Purpose and Effect Table - Stage 2 PDF 226 KB
- Purpose and Effect Table - 1 February 2021 PDF 579 KB
- Renting Homes (Amendment) (Wales) Bill (completed)