Ministerial Direction - NHS pension arrangements for 2019/20
The First Minister issued a Ministerial Direction on 18 December 2019 to bring NHS Wales in line with NHS England’s solution for 2019/20 to address the operational challenges arising as a consequence of current pension tax arrangements. NHS Pension scheme and pension tax legislation is not devolved to Wales.
The need for a Ministerial Direction arose as the proposed scheme constitutes tax planning and therefore raised an issue of irregularity due toits compatibility with paragraph 5.6.1 of Managing Welsh Public Money. The same issue of regularity was encountered in England.
The Committee scrutinised the Welsh Government’s Permanent Secretary on 3 February 2020 on this procedure and its budget allocation and will monitor the issue during its annual scrutiny of the Welsh Government’s Consolidated Accounts.
Business type: Other
First published: 20/12/2019
- Letter from the Permanent Secretary, Welsh Government - 23 April 2020 PDF 491 KB
- Letter from the Committee Chair to the Permanent Secretary, Welsh Government - 31 March 2020 PDF 274 KB
- Letter from the Committee Chair to the Permanent Secretary, Welsh Government - 11 February 2020 PDF 217 KB
- Letter from the Minister for Health & Social Services - 4 February 2020 PDF 371 KB
- Letter from WRA - 24 January 2020 PDF 104 KB
- Letter from the Committe Chair to HMRC and WRA - 9 January 2020 PDF 114 KB
- Letter from the Committee Chair to the Chairs of Finance and Health, Social Care & Sport Committees - 8 January 2020 PDF 111 KB
- Letter from the Auditor General for Wales - 6 January 2020 PDF 527 KB
- Welsh Government Correspondence - 20 December 2019 PDF 2 MB