Early Childhood Education and Care (ECEC) in Wales
The Children, Young People and Education Committee undertook a short piece of work to consider the current position of Early Childhood Education and Care (ECEC) in Wales.
During the scrutiny of the Childcare Funding (Wales) Bill, the Welsh Government indicated that plans were underway to review the provision and structure of ECEC. The Committee were keen to consider developments and followed-up on:
- the regulations and administrative scheme created by the Bill;
- ongoing scrutiny of the Flying Start programme and also the outreach element, the Committee published a report (PDF 1.98MB) on this in February 2018.
The Committee wrote to the Minister for Education (PDF 80.5KB) and the Deputy Minister for Health and Social Services (PDF 80.2KB) for an update on developments in relation to Early Childhood Education and Care (ECEC).
The Deputy Minister attended a public Committee meeting on Wednesday the 2 October. Following the evidence session, the Committee wrote (PDF 82KB) to the Deputy Minister. On the 6 November (PDF 548KB) the Committee received a response from the Deputy Minister for Health and Social Services.
Business type: Committee Inquiry
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
First published: 12/09/2019
- Paper from Dr David Dallimore regarding Early Childhood Education and Care in Wales PDF 262 KB
- Letter from the Chair to Dr David Dallimore PDF 75 KB
- Letter from the Deputy Minister for Health and Social Services - additional infomation following the meeting on 2 October PDF 303 KB
- Letter from the Welsh Local Government Association - Childcare Funding (Wales) Act 2019 PDF 223 KB