Access to Banking
The Economy, Infrastructure and Skills Committee agreed to undertake a short inquiry into Access to Banking in Wales.
To examine the impact of bank branch closures in Wales on local businesses, consumers and the Welsh economy and to explore what steps can be taken to address any issues identified by the Committee.
Terms of reference
To do this the Committee looked at the following:
- The current position regarding access to banking services in Wales, to include issues relating to financial inclusion and digital inclusion.
- The variety of ways in which branch closures and access to free ATMs can affect local communities (for instance the impacts from a business, tourism, social, demographic and regeneration perspective).
- To understand the potential process, benefits and challenges involved with establishing a community bank with multiple branches in Wales.
Business type: Committee Inquiry
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
First published: 09/04/2019
- Committee Report: Access to Banking - October 2019 PDF 2 MB
- Infographic on Access to Banking PDF 117 KB
- Welsh Government response PDF 338 KB
- Access to Banking (completed)