The Children, Young People and Education Committee conducted an inquiry into the sufficiency of school funding in Wales and the way school budgets are determined and allocated.
The inquiry focused on:
· the sufficiency of provision for school budgets, in the context of other public service budgets and available resources;
· the extent to which the level of provision for school budgets complements or inhibits delivery of the Welsh Government’s policy objectives;
· the relationship, balance and transparency between various sources of schools’ funding, including core budgets and hypothecated funding;
· the local government funding formula and the weighting given to education and school budgets specifically within the Local Government Settlement;
· Welsh Government oversight of how Local Authorities set individual schools’ budgets including, for example, the weighting given to factors such as age profile of pupils, deprivation, language of provision, number of pupils with Additional Learning Needs and pre-compulsory age provision;
· progress and developments since previous Assembly Committees’ reviews (for example those of the Enterprise and Learning Committee in the Third Assembly); and
A Research Blog provided further detail on School Funding in Wales.
On 16 January 2019 the Committee held a roundtable event to inform its inquiry into School Funding. The purpose of the roundtable discussion was to enable Members to gather the views and experiences on the sufficiency of school funding in Wales and the way school budgets are determined and allocated. A summary note of the roundtable event has been produced.
Report on School Funding in Wales (PDF 1.61MB) – 10 July 2019
Welsh Government Response (PDF 433KB) - 9 September 2019
The plenary debate on the Committee’s report took place on Wednesday 23 October 2019.
Business type: Committee Inquiry
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
First published: 10/10/2018
- Letter to the Chair from the Minister for Education regarding the School Funding Review – 20 March 2020 PDF 454 KB
- Letter from the Chair to the Minister for Education regarding the school funding review - 5 March 2020 PDF 416 KB
- Letter from Trade Unions regarding the Welsh Government school funding review - 21 January 2020 PDF 275 KB View as HTML (3) 29 KB
- Letter from the Minister for Education regarding the Committee’s report on School Funding in Wales and the Welsh Government’s response - 16 December 2019 PDF 755 KB
- Letter to the Minister for Education regarding the Plenary debate on the Children, Young People and Education Committee's report on School Funding - 15 November 2019 PDF 152 KB
- Welsh Government Response - 9 September 2019 PDF 703 KB
- Note from the stakeholder event - February 2019 PDF 130 KB
- Restricted enclosure View reasons restricted
- Letter from the Minister for Education - 18 December 2018 PDF 353 KB
- Letter from the Chair of the Children, Young People and Education Committee to the Cabinet Secretary for Education - Inquiry into School Funding - 23 October 2018 PDF 98 KB
- Letter from the Chair to the Chair of the Equality, Local Government and Communities Committee - Inquiry into School Funding - 23 October 2018 PDF 83 KB
- School Funding in Wales (completed)