The status of the Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification
The Children, Young People and Education Committee conducted an inquiry into the revised Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification that was introduced for teaching from September 2015. The Committee looked at the qualification at Key Stage 4 and post-16.
The inquiry focussed specifically on:
· The extent to which the Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification is understood and valued by learners, parents, education professionals in schools and colleges, higher education institutions and employers;
· The extent to which the Welsh Baccalaureate is considered by learners, education professionals in schools and colleges, employers and higher education to be an equivalent, rigorous qualification;
· The status of the Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification in schools and colleges, including the Welsh Government’s target for universal adoption and the potential impact of this approach;
· The wider impact of studying the Welsh Baccalaureate on other curriculum subjects and education provision;
The benefits and disadvantages of the Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification to learners, schools and colleges, higher education institutions and employers.
A short video summarising the survey results is also available
Note from the school visits on 4 October 2018 (PDF 172KB)
During the launch event for this report a video summarising the views from young people and stakeholders was shown.
Welsh Government response (PDF 409KB) to the Committee’s report.
Qualifications Wales response (PDF 141KB) to the Committee’s report.
The Plenary debate on the Committee’s report took place on 3 July 2019.
Business type: Committee Inquiry
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
First published: 20/06/2018
- Employers views PDF 83 KB
- Summary of survey responses PDF 386 KB
- video summary of survey results MP4 41 MB
- Summary of survey responses with HEIs PDF 114 KB
- Welsh Baccalaureate Stakeholder Event - Summary Note PDF 116 KB View as HTML (5) 40 KB
- Welsh Baccalaureate School Visits - Summary Note PDF 172 KB
- Summary of views from young people and stakeholders MP4 51 MB
- Welsh Government response to the Committee’s report PDF 409 KB
- Qualifications Wales response to the Committee’s report PDF 141 KB
- Letter from the Minister for Education - update on activity undertaken by the Welsh Government in response to three of the recommendations in the Committee's report on the status of the Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification - 12 November 2019 PDF 363 KB
- Letter from Qualifications Wales - Discontinuation of the Foundation (Post 16) and National (Post 16) Skills Challenge Certificate (SCC) qualifications PDF 181 KB