How is the Welsh Government preparing for Brexit?
The External Affairs and Additional Legislation Committee agreed to look at how the public sector and businesses in Wales were preparing for Brexit. The resilience and preparedness of the public and private sectors in Wales was raised in a number of the Committee’s previous inquiries.
Terms of reference
The purpose of the inquiry was to examine:
- the Welsh Government’s internal administrative and financial response to Brexit; and
- how the Welsh Government supported public services, higher education, third sector and economic sectors to prepare for exiting the European Union.
On 6 November 2017, the Committee visited stakeholders in Swansea, Llanelli and Caerleon. This was in order to look at how the public sector and businesses in Wales are preparing for Brexit. Read the reports from the Swansea and Llanelli (PDF, 259KB) visit and the Caerleon (PDF, 64KB) visit.
The Committee published its report ‘How is the Welsh Government preparing for Brexit?’ in February 2018.
On the day the report was published, David Rees AM, Chair of the Committee, said:
“Sectors and organisations are looking to the Welsh Government for leadership and it is imperative that they are able to start making their own plans for life outside the EU.
“We are calling on the Welsh Government to give a stronger steer to these sectors to ensure we are all set on the same path when we leave at the end of the negotiations.”
Response to the report
At its meeting on 16 July 2018, the Committee agreed undertake further follow-up work on aspects of Wales’ preparedness for Brexit in the autumn term.
Business type: Committee Inquiry
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
First published: 26/09/2017
- Welsh Government Response to Recommendations from the External Affairs and Additional Legislation Committee Report: How is the Welsh Government preparing for Brexit? – 12 April 2018
- How is the Welsh Government preparing for Brexit? - February 2018
- Correspondence from the Chair to Mark Drakeford AM, Cabinet Secretary for Finance regarding inquiry into resilience and preparedness - 29 November 2017 PDF 153 KB
- Correspondence from the Chair to Mark Drakeford AM, Cabinet Secretary for Finance regarding Common UK policy frameworks: “deep dive” exercises - 21 November 2017 PDF 168 KB
- Summary of stakeholder event in Swansea and Llanelli - 6 November 2017 PDF 259 KB
- Summary of stakeholder event in Caerleon - 6 November 2017 PDF 64 KB