Low carbon housing: the challenge
Terms of reference
The Climate Change, Environment and Rural Affairs Committee agreed to assess the Welsh Government’s progress in relation to low carbon housing and to consider what needed to be done to ensure the Welsh Government achieved its commitments to meet energy efficiency and emissions reductions targets. We explored:
- What role can housing can play in Wales’ low carbon transition, including the potential positive impacts on greenhouse gas emissions?
- The development and availability of technology needed for highly energy efficient housing;
- What changes are needed to ensure that existing housing stock is as energy efficient as it can be?
- Whether it is possible and feasible to deliver low carbon, energy positive, affordable housing at scale in Wales and, if so, how this can be achieved;
- What are the barriers to delivering transformative change in house building in Wales?
- What is the role of Ofgem and the national grid in enabling grid evolution to accommodate new types of housing, and what are the challenges presented by decentralised energy supply?
- Whether Wales has the requisite skills to facilitate and enable change in the housing sector;
- What changes are needed to Building Regulations in Wales to accelerate progress towards ‘near zero’ energy standards and beyond?
- How communities can be planned and shaped to be more energy efficient and low carbon (including examples of good practice in Wales and further afield).
The Committee received written evidence from stakeholders and these have been published.
The Climate Change, Environment and Rural Affairs Committee published its report Low Carbon Housing: the Challenge (PDF 1MB) on 2 August 2018 and the Welsh Government responded (PDF 279KB) on 17 October 2018.
The report was debated in Plenary on 24 October 2018.
Business type: Other
First published: 26/09/2017
- Committee report: Low Carbon Housing the Challenge - 2 August 2018
- Welsh Government response to the Committee's report - 17 October 2018
- Low carbon housing: the challenge (completed)