Leaving the European Union: monitoring negotiations between the UK and the EU
This page brings together areas of governmental scrutiny which helped to inform various inquiries that Senedd committees, usually the External Affairs and Additional Legislation Committee, undertook.
During scrutiny sessions with both Welsh and UK government ministers, the External Affairs and Additional Legislation Committee :
- monitored the progress of the negotiations between the United Kingdom and the European Union in relation to the UK’s exit from the European Union from a Welsh perspective.
- identified any areas that were of particular relevance to Wales or which could have impacted upon devolved areas of competence.
General scrutiny focussed on a wide range of areas that included Brexit legislation, trade issues, intergovernmental relations and common frameworks.
Additionally, the Research Service of the Senedd published regular Brexit monitoring reports as the negotiation process unfolded.
Each report provided a summary of the latest developments, including the latest documents and legislation published. It also provided an analysis of the key issues of interest to the External Affairs Committee and a summary of the Welsh Government’s response to those latest developments.
Business type: Committee Inquiry
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
First published: 24/07/2017
- Correspondence from the Chair to the Rt Hon. Michael Gove MP, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster regarding UK-EU future relationship: role of the Welsh Government - 9 June 2020 PDF 210 KB
- Correspondence from the Chair to the Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union regarding EU (Withdrawal Agreement) Bill: Revision of EU law during the implementation period - 8 January 2020 PDF 237 KB
- Correspondence from the Chair to the First Minister regarding the Assembly’s role in legislating for Brexit - 14 March 2019 PDF 151 KB
- Correspondence from the Chair to Lord Boswell of Aynho, Chair of the European Union Committee regarding post-Brexit UK-EU interinstitutional relations and the role of the devolved institutions - 12 February 2019 PDF 132 KB
- Correspondence from the Chair to Lord Boswell of Aynho, Chair of the European Union Committee regarding post-Brexit UK-EU interinstitutional relations - annex - 12 February 2019 PDF 256 KB
- Correspondence from the Chair to Mark Drakeford AM, Cabinet Secretary for Finance regarding further information following scrutiny session - 19 July 2018 PDF 168 KB