Welcome to the Senedd's new website. If you have any difficulty using this site please get in touch.
Inquiry into regional policy – what next for Wales?
Affairs and Additional Legislation agreed to look at the future of regional
policy in Wales.
Regional policy sets out to reduce regional disparities in economic performance. These policies are currently agreed at an EU level. In the current 7-year financial framework, £2 billion of EU funding is earmarked for this purpose in Wales.
As part of the inquiry the Committee considered:
- the status of existing programmes (including levels of commitment and questions around programme closure).
- the future of regional policy in Wales (in the context of the United Kingdom outside the European Union);
- best practice elsewhere in the world, including alternative models that are used to reduce regional disparities in economic performance.
The Committee took oral evidence as part of its inquiry on the following dates:
27 February (371 KB)
6 March (586 KB)
13 March (531 KB)
20 March (279 KB)
15 May (632 KB)
The Committee also received written evidence which can be viewed below.
The Committee’s report on the future of regional policy was published in June 2017. Read the full report (PDF 1MB)
On the day the report was published, David Rees AM, Chair of the Committee, said:
“Carrying on as we are is not an option and everyone, from the Welsh Government, to the private sector, our universities and the third sector need to start thinking about fresh approaches to tackling some of the economic challenges we face as a nation.
“It is a call to arms for us all, that one that none should shy away from.”
Welsh Government response
Keeping in touch
If you'd like to know more about the work of the External Affairs and Additional Legislation Committee, please view its homepage, follow its Twitter account or contact the team that supports the Committee at SeneddEAAL@assembly.wales
The Committee sends a regular Brexit Update email. If you'd like to receive this in your inbox, please email SeneddEAAL@assembly.wales to request this.
Business type: Committee Inquiry
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
Status: Report published
First published: 16/02/2017
- Joint letter on the European Structural and Investment Funds - 20 December 2017 PDF 191 KB
- 01 Written submission from Professor Sascha Becker PDF 76 KB View as HTML (2) 25 KB
- 02 Written submission from Professor David Bell PDF 614 KB View as HTML (3) 98 KB
- 03 OECD Written Evidence Paper on regional policy in Wales PDF 1 MB
- Welsh Government response - 20 September 2017 PDF 316 KB