National Infrastructure Commission for Wales
The Economy, Infrastructure and Skills Committee carried out an inquiry into the Welsh Government’s proposed establishment of a National Infrastructure Commission for Wales.
The aims of the inquiry were to obtain clarity for stakeholders on how the Welsh Government proposes to take the Infrastructure Commission forward, to influence the development of the Welsh Government policy in this area, and to make meaningful recommendations to the Government.
The Welsh Government launched its consultation document – A National Infrastructure Commission for Wales – on the 17 October 2016. It sets out a proposal to establish a National Infrastructure Commission for Wales within the next 12 months, and asks a series of questions.
The Commission will provide expert and technical advice on a long-term strategy for investment in economic infrastructure, looking up to 30 years ahead but not revisiting decisions already made. It will need to consider recommendations of other bodies that have a statutory role relating to infrastructure and will work in a way that incorporates the principles of the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015.
The Committee sought views on:
- What the role, remit and objectives of the Commission should be;
- How the Commission should operate, and what methodologies it should adopt for conducting its work;
- How the Commission should be governed and funded to ensure its independence from the Welsh Government;
- Examples of UK and international best practice that the Commission could learn from;
- How the work of the Commission should incorporate the principles of the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015;
- How and to what extent the work of the Commission should influence Welsh Government decision making and prioritisation of infrastructure projects;
- How the work of the Commission should interact with regional infrastructure priorities and City/Growth Deals; and
- What relationship the Commission should have with the UK Government’s Commission on cross-border issues and infrastructure in areas that are partially devolved
It is our intention to complete our work in time to contribute to the Welsh Government’s consultation and future development of this area.
Business type: Committee Inquiry
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
First published: 14/10/2016
- Report - Pre-appointment hearing – Preferred Candidate for Chair of the National Infrastructure Commission for Wales (PDF 628KB) PDF 627 KB
- Report - January 2017 (PDF 576KB)
- Welsh Government response (PDF 363KB)
- National Infrastructure Commission for Wales (completed)