Inquiry into refugees and asylum seekers in Wales
The Equality, Local Government and Communities Committee launched its inquiry on refugees and asylum seekers during the world’s largest refugee crisis since the Second World War.
The Committee looked at how much support is available for refugees and asylum seekers in Wales and how well Wales is responding to the large-scale displacement of Syrians because of the country’s civil war.
Terms of reference:
The terms of reference for the inquiry were to consider:
- and advocacy available to unaccompanied asylum seeking children in Wales; and
- the role and effectiveness of the Welsh Government’s Community Cohesion Delivery Plan in ensuring the integration of refugees and asylum seekers in Welsh communities.
As part of its evidence gathering, the Committee held a variety of oral evidence sessions and held a consultation. A schedule of oral evidence can be viewed below.
The Committee published its report on refugees and asylum seekers in Wales (PDF 1MB) in April 2017.
On publication of the report, John Griffiths AM, Chair of the Committee said:
“We found examples of good practice across Wales, and it is clear that in many places and in many ways both public services and the third sector are working effectively to help refugees and asylum seekers to adjust to life in our communities and to get the support they need. However, we also heard evidence that in a number of areas the Welsh Government needs to do more to help delivery partners, including by making representations to the UK Government, by refreshing the strategic direction and by getting directly involved in delivery.”
A shorter ‘Spark’ report has also been published, read it here.
Keeping in touch
If you'd like to know more about the work of the Equality, Local Government and Communities, please view its homepage, follow its Twitter account or contact the team that supports the Committee at SeneddCommunities@assembly.wales
Business type: Committee Inquiry
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
First published: 12/10/2016
- Schedule of oral evidence PDF 207 KB View as HTML (1) 25 KB
- Correspondence with Members of Parliament
- Letter to the Secretary of State for the Home Department (24 November 2016) PDF 487 KB
- Letter to the Chair of the Home Affairs Committee, House of Commons (24 November 2016) PDF 73 KB
- Letter from Robert Goodwill MP Minister of State for Immigration (4 January 2017)
- Correspondence with the Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Children
- Letter from the Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Children to Robert Goodwill MP Minister of State for Immigration - 28 February 2017 PDF 120 KB
- Letter from the Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Children (9 February 2017)
- Letter from the Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Children (2 March 2017) PDF 238 KB
- Letter from the Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Children (16 March 2017)
- Correspondence with Clearsprings Ready Homes Ltd
- Letter from the Chair to Clearsprings Ready Homes Ltd (12 January 2017)
- Letter from Clearsprings Readyhomes Ltd to the Chair (18 January 2017)
- Additional information
- House of Commons Committee of Public Accounts report on the Syrian Vulnerable Persons Resettlement Programme (11 January 2017)
- Housing in Swansea, submitted by Oxfam (7 February 2017) PDF 1023 KB
- Housing in Swansea, submitted by Welsh Refugee Council (7 February 2017)
- Additional information provided by City of Sanctuary UK and Ireland and Chair of Asylum Justice (13 January 2017)
- Additional information provided by the WLGA (13 January 2017)
- Wales Strategic Migration Partnership Annex 9b (11 January 2017) PDF 2 MB
- Wales Strategic Migration Partnership Annex 9c (11 January 2017) PDF 789 KB
- Additional information provided by the British Psychological Society (6 January 2017)
- Correspondence from the Chair to the Welsh Local Government Association (25 January 2017)
- Additional information provided by the Scottish Refugee Council (24 February 2017)
- Welsh Refugee Coalition (18 August 2017) PDF 614 KB
- Welsh Refugee Coalition to the Welsh Government’s Nation of Sanctuary – Refugee & Asylum Seeker Delivery Plan (14 June 2018)