NHS Wales Health Board’s Governance
The Fourth Assembly Public Accounts Committee undertook an inquiry into governance arrangements at Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board in 2014 following the publication of the joint Wales Audit Office and Healthcare Inspectorate Wales Review in June 2013 and has maintained a watching brief on the situation since the publication of the Committee’s report in December 2013.
During follow up work, that Committee also agreed to look at governance arrangements generally within the Welsh health boards.
That Committee’s report, Wider issues emanating from the governance review of Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (PDF 504KB) (published on 26 February 2016), includes the Committee’s conclusions on health board governance, the current situation at BCUHB and the evidence it gathered from Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board together with its views on health finances. The Welsh Government, Healthcare Inspectorate Wales, and BCUHB responded (PDF 965KB) to the report in June 2016.
The previous Committee recommended in its Legacy Report, that its successor Committee considers the Welsh Government’s response to the Committee’s recommendations early in the fifth Assembly and monitors the implementation of related actions at regular intervals.
The Public Accounts Committee considered the Welsh Government response in November 2016 and noted the update and the scheduled joint WAO/HIW review planned for spring 2017. Members also examined the escalation and intervention framework mechanism during their inquiry into the Implementation of the NHS Finance (Wales) Act 2014.
Business type: Other
First published: 16/08/2016
- Letter from Healthcare Inspectorate Wales - 19 July 2017 PDF 192 KB
- Letter from the Cabinet Secretary for Health, Well-being and Sport to the Chair - 9 January 2017 PDF 441 KB
- Letter from Healthcare Inspectorate Wales - 12 December 2016 PDF 169 KB
- Letter from the Welsh Government to the Chair - 21 October 2016 PDF 176 KB
- Letter from Healthcare Inspectorate Wales - 10 October 2016 PDF 108 KB
- Letter from Chair to Healthcare Inspectorate Wales - 23 September 2016 PDF 143 KB
- Letter from Chair to the Welsh Government - 23 September 2016 PDF 151 KB
- Comments from the Auditor General for Wales on the responses to the report - 30 June 2016 PDF 783 KB