Inquiry into winter preparedness
Follow-up on winter preparedness 2018
The Committee scrutinised NHS bodies and the ADSS on their response to last winter’s pressures and their preparations for this coming winter on 19 July 2018.
Inquiry into winter preparedness 2016-17
Winter is always a busy time for health and social services. Building on the work done during the Fourth Assembly, the Health, Social Care and Sport Committee looked at the winter preparedness of health and social care services in Wales.
Terms of reference for the inquiry
In seeking assurance that the Welsh NHS is equipped to deal with pressures on unscheduled care services during the coming winter, the Committee’s inquiry considered:
- the current pressures facing unscheduled care services, and how well prepared the Welsh NHS and social services are for winter 2016/17;
- whether there has been sufficient progress in the fourth Assembly in alleviating pressures on unscheduled care through integrated winter planning across health, social and ambulance services, and lessons learned; and
- the actions needed to produce sustainable improvements to urgent and emergency care services, and the whole system, ensuring the Welsh NHS builds resilience to seasonal demand and to improve the position for the future.
The terms of reference included a focus on patient flow (including primary care out of hours, emergency ambulance services, emergency departments, and delayed transfers of care).
The Committee consulted on this topic. The responses have been published.
Report on the inquiry into winter preparedness 2016/17 (PDF 803KB)
Inquiry into winter preparedness 2016/17 – conclusions and recommendations (PDF 466KB)
Welsh Government Response – January 2017 (PDF 582KB)
The Plenary debate on the Committee’s report took place on 1 February 2017.
Letter from the Chair of the Committee to the Cabinet Secretary for Health, Well-being and Sport – June 2017 (PDF 150KB)
Letter from the Cabinet Secretary for Health, Well-being and Sport to the Chair of the Committee – July 2017 (PDF 270KB)
Business type: Committee Inquiry
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
First published: 03/08/2016
- Letter from the Chair to the Cabinet Secretary for Health, Wellbeing and Sport and Minister for Social Services and Public Health, 28 October 2016 PDF 186 KB
- Schedule of oral evidence PDF 34 KB View as HTML (2) 25 KB
- Inquiry into winter preparedness 2016/17 – conclusions and recommendations PDF 465 KB
- Welsh Government Response PDF 581 KB
- Restricted enclosure View reasons restricted
- Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board - 26 February 2019 PDF 2 MB
- Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board - 1 March 2019 PDF 262 KB
- Cwm Taf University Health Board - 1 March 2019 PDF 165 KB
- Aneurin Bevan Health Board - 4 March 2019 PDF 2 MB
- Hywel Dda University Health Board - 4 March 2019 PDF 205 KB
- Powys Teaching Health Board - 4 March 2019 PDF 250 KB
- Inquiry into winter preparedness 2016/17 (completed)