Employment opportunities for people over 50
The National Assembly for Wales’s Enterprise and Business Committee undertook an inquiry into employment opportunities for people over 50.
Terms of reference
- The barriers that face people over 50 trying to re-enter the labour market
- The extent of age-discrimination and its impact on the recruitment of people over 50
- Whether there are any disadvantages to people over 50 re-entering the labour market
- The effectiveness of the Welsh Government’s Strategy for Older People in Wales 2013-23 in assisting people over 50 into work
- The support that is most effective for people over 50 trying to re-enter the labour market (particularly programmes and projects).
As part of these terms of reference, the Committee considered:
- The availability and suitability of local job opportunities
- The need for relevant support and skills training
- Transport difficulties, including availability and cost (especially in rural areas)
- Lack of confidence (for example, following redundancy)
- Assisting and supporting people with additional challenges (for example, those with a disability)
- Potential barriers to people over 50 accessing employment owing to caring responsibilities (for example, caring for elderly parents)
- The role of people over 50 in mentoring younger workers and passing on their skills and knowledge
- How people over 50 re-entering the labour market can affect the number of jobs and career progression opportunities available to younger workers
- Assisting those from areas of high unemployment
- The impact and value-for-money of European funding.
Evidence from the Public
The Committee held a public consultation to gather evidence on this topic.
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
First published: 07/11/2014
- Report - July 2015 (PDF 408KB)
- Report Summary - July 2015 PDF 547 KB View as HTML (2) 17 KB
- * Welsh Government response - September 2015 PDF 135 KB
- Letter from the Older People's Commissioner for Wales - 14 August 2015 PDF 603 KB View as HTML (4) 13 KB
- Employment opportunities for people over 50 (completed)