Inquiry into Assisting Young People into Work
The National Assembly for Wales’s Enterprise and Business Committee undertook an inquiry into Assisting Young People into Work.
Terms of Reference:
- What support is most effective and what are the main barriers that face young people trying to enter the labour market?
- To what extent is the Welsh Government’s strategy for young people who are not in education, employment or training effective and value for money?
- What progress has been made to date on the Youth Engagement and Progression Framework Implementation Plan?
- How effective is the strategic role of local authorities and other key stakeholders including the Careers Service, the Youth Service, and the education regional consortia?
- The extent of discrimination and its impact on the recruitment of young people;
- How effective are the range of schemes, initiatives and projects aimed at supporting young people into work, for example: Jobs Growth Wales; apprenticeships; traineeships; other projects supported by European funding; and third-sector-run projects? Do they provide good value for money?
Issues that the Committee considered as part of these terms of reference included:
- The impact of the Welsh Government’s prioritisation of support for young people age 16-18; and the impact of this prioritisation on those aged 19-24;
- Transport (especially in rural areas): what are the problems and what assistance can be provided?
- The need for softer skills: e.g., effective interview and job application skills; ready-for-work skills;
- What can be done to assist the groups of young people who are more affected by barriers to re-entering the labour market, for example those with disability?
- The impact and value-for-money of European funds;
- Regional variations and local challenges;
- The social problems that prevent young people from finding work, and how to change the culture and attitudes that entrench unemployment for many.
Evidence from the Public
The Committee held a public consultation to gather evidence on this topic.
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
First published: 25/09/2014
- Report - March 2015 (PDF 778KB)
- Report summary - March 2015 PDF 184 KB
- Further information from Llamau following the evidence session - 6 November 2014 PDF 2 MB
- Further information from the National Training Federation for Wales following the evidence session - 12 November 2014 PDF 170 KB
- Welsh Government response (PDF 290KB) - May 2015
- Inquiry into Assisting Young People into Work (completed)