Dadl Cyfnod 4 ar y Bil Llesiant Cenedlaethau’r Dyfodol (Cymru)
Decision Maker: Plenary - Fourth Assembly, Business Committee - Fourth Assembly, Environment and Sustainability Committee - Fourth Assembly
Status: Recommendations approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
A Government Bill, introduced by Jeff Cuthbert AM, Minister for Communities and Tackling Poverty. Following a change in ministerial portfolios in September 2014, the First Minister authorised Carl Sargeant AM, Minister for Natural Resources, as the new Member in Charge of the Bill, from 11 September 2014. The Business Committee has remitted the Bill to the Environment and Sustainability Committee.
About the Bill
The key purposes of the Bill are to:
- set a framework within which specified Welsh public authorities will seek to ensure the needs of the present are met without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs (the sustainable development principle),
- put into place well-being goals which those authorities are to seek to achieve in order to improve wellbeing both now and in the future,
- set out how those authorities are to show they are working towards the well-being goals,
- put Public Services Boards and local well-being plans on a statutory basis and, in doing so, simplify current requirements as regards integrated community planning, and
- establish a Future Generations Commissioner for Wales to be an advocate for future generations who will advise and support Welsh public authorities in carrying out their duties under the Bill.
The Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015 (external website) became law in Wales on 29 April 2015 (external website).
Welsh Glossary (Available in Welsh only)
Record of Passage in the National Assembly for Wales
The following table sets out the dates for each stage of the Bill’s passage through the National Assembly for Wales.
This bill has been remitted to the Environment and Sustainability Committee
Clerk: Catherine Hunt
Phone: 0300 200 6565
The item started at 15.21
Voting on the motion under this item was deferred until Voting Time.
NDM5725 Carl Sargeant (Alyn and Deeside)
To propose that the National Assembly for Wales in accordance with Standing Order 26.47:
Approves the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Bill.
The result was as follows:
The motion was agreed.
Publication date: 17/03/2015
Date of decision: 17/03/2015
Decided at meeting: 17/03/2015 - Plenary - Fourth Assembly