Legislative Consent: The Nationality and Borders Bill
The Nationality and Borders Bill (the Bill) was introduced in the House of Commons on 6 July 2021.
The long title to the Bill notes that it is a Bill to “make provision about nationality, asylum and immigration; to make provision about victims of slavery or human trafficking; to provide a power for Tribunals to charge participants where their behaviour has wasted the Tribunal’s resources; and for connected purposes.”
The Bill is subject to the legislative consent process under Standing Order 29. This is when the consent of the Welsh Parliament is sought by the UK Government to legislate on an issue which falls within the competence of the Senedd.
The Legislative Consent Motion for the Nationality and Borders Bill was not agreed in Plenary on 15 February 2022.
Legislative Consent Memorandum – December 2021
The Welsh Government laid a Legislative Consent Memorandum (LCM) (PDF 198KB) on the Bill before the Senedd on 6 December 2021.
The Business Committee referred the LCM to the Health and Social Care Committee, the Children, Young People and Education Committee, and the Legislation, Justice and Constitution Committee, with a reporting deadline of 17 February 2022 (PDF 46.6KB).
On 25 January 2022 the Business Committee agreed (PDF 40.9KB) a revised deadline for all Committees to consider and report on the revised Legislative Consent Memorandum to 15 February 2022.
The Children, Young People and Education Committee laid its report (PDF 333KB) on the 15 February 2022
Further information on the Senedd’s consideration of the LCM, including relevant correspondence, can be found under ‘Related Meetings’.
Business type: Legislative Consent
First published: 07/12/2021
- Response from the Minister for Social Justice to the Health and Social Care Committee's report on the Welsh Government’s Legislative Consent Memorandum for the Nationality and Borders Bill - 15 February 2022 PDF 257 KB
- Joint letter from the Chair of the Children, Young People and Education Committee and the Chair of the Health and Social Care Committee to the Llywydd and Chair of Business Committee - 06 January 2022 PDF 332 KB
- Joint letter from the Chair of the Children, Young People and Education Committee and the Chair of the Health and Social Care Committee to the Minister for Social Justice - 18 January 2022 PDF 197 KB
- Joint letter from the Chair of the Children, Young People and Education Committee and the Chair of the Health and Social Care Committee to stakeholders - 18 January 2022 PDF 229 KB
- Letter from the Minister for Social Justice - 3 February 2022 PDF 2 MB
- Targeted call for written evidence: written submissions
- LCM NBB 01 - Royal College of Psychiatrists PDF 296 KB
- LCM NBB 02 - BMA Cymru PDF 515 KB
- LCM NBB 03 - Royal College of Physicians PDF 287 KB
- LCM NBB 04 - Fostering Network Wales PDF 258 KB
- LCM NBB 05 - NYAS Cymru PDF 367 KB
- LCM NBB 06 - Public Health Wales PDF 718 KB
- LCM NBB 07 - Children's Commissioner for Wales PDF 296 KB
- LCM NBB 08 - Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health PDF 168 KB
- LCM NBB 08a - Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health PDF 221 KB
- LCM NBB 09 - EYST Wales PDF 372 KB
- LCM NBB 10 - Welsh NHS Confederation PDF 283 KB
- LCM NBB 11 - UNCRC Monitoring Group PDF 282 KB
- LCM NBB 12 - Royal College of Nursing Wales PDF 268 KB
- LCM NBB 13 - WLGA, ADSS Cymru and All Wales Heads of Children’s Services PDF 342 KB