P-06-1190 Ban the use of peat in horticulture and all growing media by 2023
This petition was submitted Jake Rayson, having collected a total of 1,014 signatures.
Text of Petition:
Peat bogs and moors are extremely important in the fight against the climate emergency; sequestering carbon better than many natural landscapes, reducing flooding and providing biodiversity. We need to ban the use of peat in horticulture and all growing media by 2023, including imports.
Peat currently makes up 40% of growing media used by the public, and over 60% of that used in the professional sector. There are other materials such as coir, composted wood and leaf mould which can be used. Peatlands should not be mined but protected and restored.
The Senedd should protect and restore all Welsh peat bogs and moors and crucially ensure that all growing media sold and used in Wales is peat free.
• 3 million cubic metres of peat sold for horticultural use annually in UK, ⅓ from UK peatlands (IUCN http://bit.ly/peat-extraction-horticulture)
• 20 million tonnes carbon dioxide lost to atmosphere annually from UK’s damaged peatlands (IUCN http://bit.ly/peat-climate)
• Peatland destruction releasing vast amounts of CO2 (New Scientist http://bit.ly/peatland-destruction)
• Peatlands support many important species & unique ecosystems (IUCN http://bit.ly/peat-species)
- Mid and West Wales
- The Petitions Committee homepage
- View all open petitions
- View all petitions the committee is currently considering
- How the petitions system works
Business type: Petition
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
Status: For consideration
First published: 24/09/2021