P-05-1080 Introduce anti-racist teaching materials to children in schools in Wales to reduce hate crimes
This petition was submitted by Fatima Altaiy having collected a total of 4,053 signatures.
Text of Petition:
Children need to be educated on how to be anti-racist. Although introducing POC and black history into the curriculum will be extremely beneficial, children need to have direct conversations about racism and how to be anti-racist. This will reduce bullying in schools and allow children to grow up in a multi-cultural environment, regardless of whether that have been surrounded by other cultures or not. This way, children will understand other cultures, and defeat stereotypes and discrimination.
The Committee considered this petition alongside petition P-05-1000 Make it compulsory for Black and POC UK histories to be taught in the Welsh education curriculum and agreed to welcome the fact that the Working Group’s comprehensive report and 51 recommendations were accepted by the Education Minister in March 2021 and:
- that both petitions have been successful in highlighting the need for improved knowledge and understanding of the experiences and contributions of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic Communities within the Welsh Curriculum,
- to thank the petitioner for raising these important issues and close the petitions; and
- In closing the petition, members agreed to write to the Minister for an update on implementing the recommendations at the end of March 2022, agreeing to share that response with the petitioners.
Full details of the consideration of this petition by the Committee and related documents can be seen on the Meetings tab above.
It was first considered by the Petitions Committee on 16/03/2021.
- Cardiff Central
- South Wales Central
- The Petitions Committee homepage
- View all open petitions
- View all petitions the committee is currently considering
- How the petitions system works
Business type: Petition
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
Status: For consideration
First published: 11/12/2020