Electoral systems and boundaries
The Committee on Senedd Electoral Reform undertook an inquiry to examine the recommendations of the Expert Panel on Assembly Electoral Reform relating to electoral systems and boundaries, and the principles underpinning them, by:
<![if !supportLists]> <![endif]>Examining the implications of the electoral systems and boundaries recommended by the Expert Panel for democratic representation in Wales, and considering how the principles identified by the Expert Panel might be weighted to ensure that the Senedd's electoral arrangements are appropriate to the Welsh context;
<![if !supportLists]> <![endif]>Exploring public sentiment and understanding of the Senedd's current electoral arrangements and boundaries and the options recommended by the Expert Panel;
<![if !supportLists]> <![endif]>Considering the implications for political parties in Wales of changing the electoral system and boundary models;
<![if !supportLists]> <![endif]>Exploring the principles and practicalities of establishing boundary review arrangements for Senedd electoral areas;
<![if !supportLists]> <![endif]>Considering the cost and resource implications of reforming the electoral system and Senedd boundaries.
The Committee published its report, Senedd reform: The next steps (PDF, 5MB) in September 2020. It also published a summary of its recommendations (PDF, 113KB).
The Committee held a public consultation between 8 January and 19 February 2020.
Date, agenda and minutes
Professor Roger Awan-Scully, Cardiff University
Jess Blair, Electoral Reform Society Cymru
Business type: Committee Inquiry
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
First published: 08/01/2020
- Paper from Electoral Reform Society Cymru – March 2020
- Written submission from Dr Alistair Clark in relation to the single transferable vote – May 2020
- Written submission from the Association of Electoral Administrators in response to the Committee's request for evidence in relation to electoral systems and boundaries – July 2020
- Letter from the Minister for Finance and Trefnydd with additional information on electoral reform – 11 August 2020
- Senedd reform: The next steps - September 2020
- Senedd reform: The next steps - summary of recommendations - Spetember 2020
- Electoral systems and boundaries (completed)