The Senedd is observing a period of national mourning following the death of Her Majesty The Queen. Senedd Business has been suspended and there will be no public access to the Senedd building until after the State Funeral.
Review of staffing support for Members
The Remuneration Board, in its strategy for 2016 – 2021, committed to review the pay and career structure of Assembly Member support staff and to consider how best to equip Assembly Members with an appropriate level of support to effectively do their job in a maturing political institution.
Terms of reference
The Board will review existing and new evidence relating to the staffing allowances provided for Members, to ensure that the financial support available supports the strategic purpose of the Assembly and facilitates the work of its Members as well as ensuring that the system of financial support for Member is robust, clear, transparent, sustainable and represents value for the taxpayer.
The review will consider:
- the adequacy of the level of support provided to Members;
- the flexibility and prescriptiveness of the current support system for Members; and
- the suitability of the current terms and conditions of Support Staff.
To inform its consideration of the issues of the Board has undertaken a number of engagement opportunities with both Members and support staff.
On 27 March the Board launched a public consultation on its proposals to increase the flexible use of the existing allowances within the Determination without increasing them.
The Board considered the responses received following at its meeting on 24 May and agreed to implement the proposals. Full details of their implementation is noted in the Board’s update letter.
On 6 June the Board launched a public consultation on its proposals to increase the flexibility of the allowance with regards to the Support for Political Parties Allowance to provide a degree of parity in the flexibility of the provisions for both Members and Political Parties.
The Board considered the responses received at its meeting on 11 October and agreed to implement the proposals. Full details of their implementation is noted in the Board’s update letter.
On 24 October the Board launched a public consultation on its proposals to:
- amend how the employment of family members of Members are funded;
- introduce privilege days for support staff;
- introduce a formal compassionate leave policy for support staff;
- adjust support staff salary in April of each year by the change in the Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings.
The Board considered the responses received at its meeting on 17 January, and agreed to revise its original proposals. Full details of the Board’s decisions are noted in the update letter.
The Board has published its report on the Review of Staffing Support
Reason considered: Remuneration Board;
Type: For information
First published: 27/03/2018
- Review of staffing support for Members: Flexibility of the allowances (completed)
- Review of staffing support for Members: Flexibility of the allowances surrounding the Support for Political Parties Allowance (completed)
- Review of staffing support for Members and the review of the Disciplinary Procedure and Grievance Procedure (completed)