Inquiry into Flying Start: outreach
The Children, Young People and Education Committee undertook a short inquiry into Flying Start. Flying Start invests in the most disadvantaged families, communities and young children as early as possible.
This inquiry formed part of the Committee’s wider work on the First 1,000 Days.
Terms of reference
The Committee undertook a short inquiry on the outreach element of Flying Start. It considered:
- The outreach element of Flying Start requiring Local Authorities to identify children living outside defined Flying Start areas who would benefit from Flying Start services.
- The extent to which sufficient Flying Start funding is provided to reflect the outreach element of Flying Start delivery plans and whether the workforce capacity is sufficient to deliver the programme and its outreach elements.
- The evidence on outcomes for parents and children in Flying Start areas compared to the outcomes for parents and children in areas that are most similar in terms of deprivation levels but are not Flying Start areas.
Evidence was drawn from responses to the First 1,000 Days Consultation.
Below is additional evidence received which was specific to the outreach element of Flying Start.
Report on the inquiry into Flying Start: Outreach (PDF 2,028KB)
Welsh Government response (PDF 179KB)
The Report was debated in Plenary on 23 May 2018.
The Welsh Government provided its first update (PDF 295KB)
to the Committee’s inquiry into Flying Start: Outreach. Further information about Flying Start was also provided by the Welsh Government as part of the Committee’s short piece of work on Early Childhood Education and Care (ECEC) in Wales.
Business type: Committee Inquiry
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
First published: 29/06/2017
- FS 01 Public Health Wales PDF 95 KB View as HTML (1) 42 KB
- FS 02 Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists PDF 171 KB View as HTML (2) 39 KB
- FS 03 Members of the all Wales Flying Start Managers’ network PDF 651 KB View as HTML (3) 98 KB
- FS 04 Ceredigion County Council PDF 241 KB View as HTML (4) 7 KB
- Welsh Government update – 29 October 2018 PDF 295 KB
- Letter from the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists to the Chair of the Children, Young People and Education Committee - Report on Flying Start: Outreach – 19 April 2018 PDF 422 KB