Call for evidence on recommendations made by the Special Purpose Committee on Senedd Reform
- This consultation has completed. It ran from Tuesday, 11 October 2022 to Tuesday, 1 November 2022
- View the background to this consultation
- View all current consultations
Response to the consultation
Evidence submitted in response to this Consultation
- SR1 Individual 1 PDF 577 KB View as HTML (1) 6 KB
- SR2 Lee Waters MS PDF 583 KB View as HTML (2) 6 KB
- SR3 Individual 2 PDF 584 KB View as HTML (3) 6 KB
- SR4 Individual 3 PDF 586 KB View as HTML (4) 6 KB
- SR5 Association of Electoral Administrators (AEA) PDF 596 KB View as HTML (5) 8 KB
- SR6 Electoral Commission PDF 591 KB View as HTML (6) 7 KB
- SR7 Jane Dodds MS PDF 600 KB View as HTML (7) 15 KB
- SR8 Welsh Labour Group in the Senedd PDF 72 KB
- SR9 Laura McAllister and Paul Silk PDF 607 KB View as HTML (9) 8 KB
- SR10 Plaid Cymru Group in the Senedd PDF 94 KB
- SR11 Individual 4 PDF 584 KB View as HTML (11) 6 KB
- SR12 Llywydd & Deputy Presiding Officer PDF 134 KB
- SR13 The Senedd Commission PDF 209 KB
- SR14 The Welsh Government PDF 231 KB
- Consultation pack PDF 4 MB
Purpose of the consultation
These recommendations were made by the Special Purpose Committee in its May 2022 report, Reforming our Senedd: A stronger voice for the people of Wales, to inform policy instructions for a Welsh Government Bill on Senedd Reform.
The four recommendations on which the Business Committee invited views related to:
>>> the size of the Welsh Government in a larger Senedd (recommendation 4);
>>> the number of Deputy Presiding Officers in a larger Senedd (recommendation 5);
>>> the number of Senedd Commissioners in a larger Senedd (recommendation 6);
>>> the consequences of a Member changing their political party if elected through a closed proportional list system (recommendation 10).
The Welsh Government asked the Business Committee to conclude its consideration of these recommendations during November 2022 in order to inform its preparation of relevant legislation. As such, the deadline for submitting views was Tuesday 1 November 2022. The Committee welcomed views on any or all four of the recommendations via its online consultation form.
Responses to the consultation can be viewed above.
The Senedd has two official languages, Welsh and English.
In line with the Senedd’s Official Languages Scheme the Committee requests that documents or written responses to consultations intended for publication or use in Senedd proceedings are submitted bilingually. When documents or written responses are not submitted bilingually, we will publish in the language submitted, stating that it has been received in that language only.
We expect other organisations to implement their own standards or schemes and to comply with their statutory obligation.
Disclosure of information
Please ensure that you have considered the Senedd’s policy on disclosure of information before submitting information to the Committee.
Should you wish to speak to someone regarding this consultation, please use the below contact details:
Telephone: 0300 200 6565