Impact of the waiting times backlog on people in Wales who are waiting for diagnosis or treatment
- This consultation has completed. It ran from Friday, 19 November 2021 to Thursday, 13 January 2022
- View the background to this consultation
- View all current consultations
Response to the consultation
Evidence submitted in response to this Consultation
- WT 01 - RNIB Cymru PDF 163 KB
- WT 02 - William Evans PDF 295 KB
- WT 03 - Tenovus Cancer Care PDF 298 KB
- WT 04 - Board of Community Health Councils in Wales PDF 606 KB
- WT 05 - An Individual PDF 96 KB
- WT 06 - An Individual PDF 85 KB
- WT 07 - Community Pharmacy Wales PDF 519 KB
- WT 08 - Audit Wales PDF 182 KB
- WT 09 - Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health PDF 166 KB
- WT 10 - Barnardo's Cymru PDF 208 KB
- WT 11 - Royal College of Physicians PDF 302 KB
- WT 12 - Swansea Bay University Health Board PDF 425 KB
- WT 13 - Asthma UK and British Lung Foundation Wales PDF 533 KB
- WT 14 - Fair Treatment for the Women of Wales PDF 354 KB
- WT 15 - Royal College of Nursing Wales PDF 215 KB
- WT 16 - Aneurin Bevan University Health Board PDF 409 KB
- WT 17 - Adferiad Recovery PDF 212 KB
- WT 18 - Target Ovarian Cancer PDF 222 KB
- WT 19 - Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board PDF 382 KB
- WT 20 - Endometriosis UK PDF 433 KB
- WT 21 - Cardiff and Vale University Health Board PDF 559 KB
- WT 22 - National Deaf Children's Society Cymru PDF 207 KB
- WT 23 - Public Health Wales PDF 530 KB
- WT 24 - Macmillan Cancer Support PDF 279 KB
- WT 25 - Mind Cymru PDF 683 KB
- WT 26 - British Orthopaedic Association PDF 670 KB
- WT 27 - National Autistic Society Cymru PDF 281 KB
- WT 28 - Royal College of General Practitioners PDF 525 KB
- WT 29 - Alzheimer's Society Cymru PDF 316 KB
- WT 30 - Bowel Cancer UK PDF 1 MB
- WT 31 - Royal Pharmaceutical Society Wales PDF 346 KB
- WT 32 - Royal College of Psychiatrists PDF 208 KB
- WT 33 - Age Cymru PDF 249 KB
- WT 34 - Crohn's & Colitis UK PDF 500 KB
- WT 35 - National Pharmacy Association PDF 810 KB
- WT 36 - Stroke Association PDF 407 KB
- WT 37 - Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists PDF 441 KB
- WT 38 - Healthcare Inspectorate Wales PDF 114 KB
- WT 39 - Pancreatic Cancer UK PDF 222 KB
- WT 40 - All Party Parliamentary Group on Endometriosis PDF 247 KB
- WT 41 - Hywel Dda University Health Board PDF 1 MB
- WT 42 - Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board PDF 528 KB
- WT 43 - Public Services Ombudsman for Wales PDF 317 KB
- WT 44 - Cymru Versus Arthritis PDF 368 KB
- Restricted enclosure View reasons restricted
Purpose of the consultation
Purpose of the consultation
The waiting lists for diagnostic and therapy appointments and surgical treatment in Wales have significantly increased during the COVID-19 pandemic. The equivalent of around 1 in 5 of the Welsh population is on an NHS waiting list, and around 37 per cent of people waiting to start treatment have been waiting over 9 months.
The Health and Social Care Committee is holding a short inquiry into the impact of the waiting times backlog on people in Wales who are waiting for diagnosis or treatment.
The Committee is considering in particular:
>>>The services in place for people who are waiting for diagnostics and treatment, particularly pain management support.
>>>Access to psychological therapies and emotional support for those who may be experiencing anxiety or distress as a result of long waiting times.
>>>The contribution the third sector can make in providing peer support and information to patients waiting on an NHS waiting list.
>>>The effectiveness of messaging and engagement with the public about the demands on the service and the importance of seeking care promptly.
>>>The extent to which inequalities exist in the elective backlog, with deprived areas facing disproportionately large waiting lists per head of population compared to least deprived areas.
>>>Plans to fully restore planned NHS care in Wales.
The closing date for submissions is Thursday 13 January 2022.
Along with your submission, you should provide the following information:
>>>Your name and contact details as the person, or organisation, submitting the evidence.
>>>Whether your evidence is submitted as an individual, or on behalf of an organisation.
>>>If you are submitting evidence as an individual, confirmation that you are over 18 years old.
>>>If you are under 13 years old, your parent or guardian’s agreement that you can participate (this can be provided via email).
>>>Confirmation of whether you would prefer that your name is not published alongside your evidence (names of individuals under 18 years old will not be published).
>>>Confirmation of whether you would like the committee to treat any or all of your written evidence as confidential, with reasons for the request.
>>>If you have referred to a third party in your evidence, such as a parent, spouse or relative, confirmation that they have agreed that you can share information that may be used to identify them and that they understand that it will be published.
How to share your views
To share your views electronically, please send to SeneddHealth@senedd.wales, or by post to:
Health and Social Care Committee,
The Senedd has two official languages, Welsh and English.
In line with the Senedd’s Official Languages Scheme the Committee requests that documents or written responses to consultations intended for publication or use in Senedd proceedings are submitted bilingually. When documents or written responses are not submitted bilingually, we will publish in the language submitted, stating that it has been received in that language only.
We expect other organisations to implement their own standards or schemes and to comply with their statutory obligation.
Disclosure of information
Please ensure that you have considered the Senedd’s policy on disclosure of information before submitting information to the Committee.
Should you wish to speak to someone regarding this consultation, please use the below contact details:
Health and Social Care Committee
Telephone: 0300 200 6565