Inquiry into diversity in local government
- This consultation has completed. It ran from Monday, 4 June 2018 to Monday, 10 September 2018
- View the background to this consultation
- View all current consultations
Response to the consultation
Evidence submitted in response to this Consultation
- Consultation letter PDF 92 KB
- DLG 01 - Llandough Community Council PDF 97 KB View as HTML (2) 18 KB
- DLG 02 - Barry Town Council PDF 96 KB View as HTML (3) 19 KB
- DLG 03 - Ceredigion County Council PDF 444 KB
- DLG 04 - Neath Town Council PDF 23 KB View as HTML (5) 19 KB
- DLG 05 - Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council PDF 273 KB
- DLG 06 - Penarth Town Council PDF 780 KB
- DLG 07 - Women’s Equality Network Wales PDF 663 KB
- DLG 08 - Monmouthshire County Council PDF 219 KB View as HTML (9) 24 KB
- DLG 09 - Chwarae Teg PDF 396 KB View as HTML (10) 65 KB
- DLG 10 - Powys County Council PDF 164 KB View as HTML (11) 21 KB
- DLG 11 - Race Council Cymru PDF 479 KB View as HTML (12) 29 KB
- DLG 12 - UNISON Cymru Wales PDF 171 KB View as HTML (13) 168 KB
- DLG 13 - Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales PDF 1 MB
- DLG 14 - National Federation of Women’s Institutes-Wales PDF 319 KB View as HTML (15) 45 KB
- DLG 15 - Gwynedd Council (Welsh language only) PDF 211 KB View as HTML (16) 17 KB
- DLG 16 - Equality and Human Rights Commission PDF 207 KB View as HTML (17) 36 KB
- DLG 17 - Cllr Jackie Charlton County Councillor for Llangattock PDF 159 KB View as HTML (18) 19 KB
- DLG 18 - Welsh Local Government Association (WLGA) PDF 296 KB View as HTML (19) 77 KB
- DLG 19 - Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council PDF 414 KB View as HTML (20) 62 KB
- DLG 20 - Plaid Cymru (Welsh language version only) PDF 319 KB
- DLG 21 - One Voice Wales PDF 331 KB View as HTML (22) 76 KB
- DLG 22 - Electoral Reform Society PDF 203 KB View as HTML (23) 34 KB
- DLG 23 - Principle Youth Officers PDF 102 KB View as HTML (24) 15 KB
- DLG 24 - Youth Cymru PDF 212 KB View as HTML (25) 46 KB
- DLG 25 - Council for Wales of Voluntary Youth Services PDF 420 KB View as HTML (26) 41 KB
- DLG 26 - Roger Pratt PDF 101 KB View as HTML (27) 5 KB
- DLG 27 - Welsh Labour PDF 157 KB View as HTML (28) 27 KB
- Additional information from Councillor Mary Sherwood and Councillor June Burtonshaw on job-sharing PDF 285 KB View as HTML (29) 22 KB
Purpose of the consultation
The Equality, Local Government and Communities Committee undertook an inquiry into diversity in local government. The consultation closed on Monday 10 September 2018.
The terms of reference were:
- To understand the importance of diversity among local councillors, including the effect on public engagement, debate and decision making.
- To understand key barriers to attracting a more diverse pool of candidates for local government elections.
- To explore areas of innovation and good practice that may help increase diversity in local government.
- To explore the potential impact of the proposals in the Welsh Government’s Green Paper, Strengthening Local Government to increasing diversity in Council chambers
Providing Written Evidence
The National Assembly for Wales has two official languages, Welsh and English.
In line with the Assembly’s Official Languages Scheme, the Committee requests that documents or written responses to consultations intended for publication or use in National Assembly proceedings are submitted bilingually. When documents or written responses are not submitted bilingually, we will publish in the language submitted, stating that it has been received in that language only.
We expect other organisations to implement their own standards or schemes and to comply with their statutory obligation.
The consultation closed on Monday 10 September 2018.
Disclosure of information
Please ensure that you have considered the Assembly’s policy on disclosure of information before submitting information to the Committee.
Should you wish to speak to someone regarding this consultation, please use the below contact details:
Equality, Local Government and Communities Committee
Telephone: 0300 200 6565