Meetings

Chair's introduction

This page gives details of any meetings held which will, or did, discuss the matter, and includes links to the relevant Papers, Agendas and Minutes.

Note: Meeting Agenda can change at short notice. Particularly where future meeting dates are indicated more than a week in advance. Please check before planning to attend a Committee Meeting that the item you are interested in has not been moved.

Meeting: 27/05/2021 - Remuneration Board (Item 1)

Chair's Introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 2
  • Restricted enclosure 3

Minutes:

1.1         The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

1.2         The Board agreed the minutes of the 4 March meeting subject to a revision of the category description of Board members in the attendance grid; and correction of a grammatical error in paragraph 2.4.

1.3         The Chair confirmed that Ronnie Alexander had tendered his resignation as a Board member, after four years, in order to take up a another appointment. The Chair led the best wishes expressed to Ronnie for his sterling work on the Board and his presence will very much be missed. Other Board members echoed these sentiments. They also wished to place on record their admiration of his attention to detail and their appreciation for the support he has given to fellow Board members, especially over the last year. Ronnie thanked the Board for their kind words and added that he was grateful for the support provided by Commission officials and other Board members over the last four years. He wished the Board well for the future.

1.4         The secretariat provided an update on the process for filling the vacancy caused by Ronnie’s resignation. The Board noted that the appointment of a Board member is made by the Clerk and Chief Executive and will need to be approved by the Senedd Commission.

1.5         The Board considered an update on support provided to Members in relation to Covid-19. The Board agreed that it was too early in the new Senedd term to evaluate the provisions currently in place. The Board agreed to review these provisions at a future meeting In the meantime they would continue in the same form.

1.6         The Board discussed its approach to engaging with Members and support staff and agreed to look at restoring drop-in sessions with Members; continuing with Representative group meetings; and arranging a programme of regular meetings with Members’ offices, whether virtually or in person. The Board acknowledged the benefits of physical meetings especially with staff outside Cardiff.

1.7         The Board considered some administration arrangements for Board meetings and agreed, in order to aid transparency of its work to stakeholders, to publish a forward work programme on its website. This will be updated on a regular basis to coincide with the cycle of Board meetings.

1.8         The Board noted an update on the new Umbraco website and agreed to review final proofs with a view to the new website going live as soon as possible.

1.9         The Board noted an update on the use and uptake of security devices for Members at the start of the Sixth Senedd. It agreed to revisit this with Senedd security in six-months’ time. This will form part of the annual review of the Determination.

1.10       The Board agreed its forward work programme up until January 2022.

 

Actions: The secretariat to:

-       Amend and arrange publication of the March minutes;

-       Provide the Board with an update on the recruitment of a new Board member;

-       Provide information for the Board to review the provisions available  ...  view the full minutes text for item 1


Meeting: 04/03/2021 - Remuneration Board (Item 1)

Chair's Introduction

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

1.1                The Chair welcomed Board members and officials to the meeting.

 

1.2                The Board noted that, should the Chair need to excuse herself from the meeting, the meeting would be Chaired by Mike Redhouse in her absence.

 

1.3                The Board agreed the minutes of the January meeting as amended.

 

1.4                The Board discussed a request for exceptional circumstances regarding staffing costs to cover a Member’s support staff undertaking jury service. The Board agreed that Members who wish to employ temporary staff to cover a period of public service duties, such as jury service, should utilise existing provisions under 7.15 of the Determination to vire funds from office costs to cover staffing expense.

 

1.5                The Board discussed an exceptional circumstance to issue staffing notices before the end of the Fifth Senedd. The Board requested more information on the specific redundancy notices issues and agreed to consider further at its meeting on 27 May.

 

1.6                The Board noted correspondence from a GMB Union representative requesting that staff should have the opportunity to claim accrued annual leave as a payment before the end of their contract. The Board agreed to decline the request stating that, as an employer, it is the responsibility of the Member to manage issues relating to annual leave. The Board also agreed to encourage the Member and member of staff to take the accrued leave before the election.

 

1.7                The Board noted feedback from recent virtual visits and agreed that, although further visits should be gently pursued, there should be an understanding of the workload of Members and staff leading up to the election, which might restrict options for further visits. The Board agreed to arrange visits at the beginning of the Sixth Senedd.

 

1.8                The Board agreed to appoint Nick Ramsay MS, as the Member nomination, to the vacant Member trustee position on the Pension Board.

 

1.9                The Board noted and agreed the design of its new web site, which would be published by the beginning of the Sixth Senedd.

 

1.10            The Board agreed its work programme up to November 2021. The Board agreed to consider any matters of urgency leading up to the elections accordingly.

 

1.11            The Board reviewed the continuing impact of Covid-19 on Members and their offices. The Board agreed that the current support in place will continue at the start of the Sixth Senedd.

 


Meeting: 28/01/2021 - Remuneration Board (Item 1)

Chair's Introduction

Supporting documents:

Minutes:

1.1         The Chair welcomed Board members and officials to the meeting.

1.2        The Chair provided an update to the Board on her meeting with the Senedd Commission’s Accounting Officer and Acting Standards Commissioner regarding the rules on the use of Senedd resources.

1.3        The Board noted an update regarding virtual visits to constituency offices. The Board agreed to expand the scope of these visits.

1.4        The Board agreed the minutes of the December meeting subject to one change to paragraph 3.3.

1.5        The Board noted an update on Covid-19 and agreed no further changes were required to the support provided to Members at present. The Board agreed to ask the Members and Members’ support staff representative groups whether there were any issues arising related to the pandemic the Board should consider. The Board asked for an outline of the support provided to be included in the next MBS bulletin.

1.6        The Board deferred the discussion regarding Pension Board trustees to the next meeting.

1.7        The Board agreed to consider the new data protection and privacy notice by email.

1.8        The Board considered dates for future meetings beyond May and agreed to consider holding a strategy away day in early July 2021.

Actions:

·         Secretariat to publish amended minutes.

·         Secretariat to ask Representative Groups for agenda items.

·         Secretariat to include discussion on appointment of Pension Board trustee at March meeting.

·         Secretariat to circulate new data protection and privacy notice by email for approval.

·         Secretariat to include agreed dates in forward work plan.


Meeting: 10/12/2020 - Remuneration Board (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 14
  • Restricted enclosure 15

Minutes:

1.1         The Chair welcomed Board members and officials to the meeting.

1.2        The Chair welcomed Commission staff members Dean Beard; Deb Suller; Dan Collier; and Huw Gapper to the meeting.

1.3        The Board agreed the minutes of the November meeting as amended.

1.4        The Board noted an update on Covid-19 and agreed no further changes were required to the support provided at present.

1.5        The Board noted an update on the progress of legislation relating to powers to postpone the 2021 Senedd election if required. The Board inquired about the impact of a postponed election on the Determination for the Sixth Senedd and agreed to consider this further at its next meeting.

1.6        The Board agreed minor amendments to the Register of Interests form and agreed that members should aim to complete the form by the next meeting.

1.7        The Board recognised the need to appoint a new Data Protection Officer who is independent, an expert in data protection, adequately resourced, and reports to the highest management level.

1.8        The Board agreed to review its privacy notice to ensure it is compliant with the most recent legislation.

1.9        The Board agreed to consider a further update on a new website at the next meeting.

1.10     The Board considered its future work programme and agreed to divide future scenario planning into two separate discussions.

Actions:

·         Secretariat to publish the November minutes.

·         Secretariat to prepare advice to the Board on forthcoming Welsh Government legislation regarding the 2021 Senedd election for consideration at the next meeting.

·         Secretariat to amend the Register of Interests and circulate to the Board.

·         Secretariat to review the Board’s privacy notice and advising the Board on the appointment of a Data Protection Officer.

·         Secretariat to prepare scenario planning discussion papers for the next meeting.

 


Meeting: 09/07/2020 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1.)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 18
  • Restricted enclosure 19
  • Restricted enclosure 20

Meeting: 21/05/2020 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 22
  • Restricted enclosure 23

Minutes:

1.1     The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2     No declarations of interests were made.

1.3     Subject to an additional of text to paragraph 4.1 the Board agreed the minutes of the 2 April as a correct record.

1.4     The Board noted the update on expenditure relating to Covid-19 and the take up by Members of the Home Working Allowance. The Board agreed to write to Members to remind them of the support available and to reassure Members that the Board stands ready to assist Members during these challenging circumstances. The Board agreed to consider a further update in relation to Covid-19 at the next meeting including preparation in case of having to deal with a second spike in the virus.

1.5     The Board also considered that going forward there may be an increase of costs associated with DSE for home working as it related to the health and safety of employees. The Board noted the advice on the Health and Safety Executive website especially in relation to lone working. Whilst acknowledging that expenditure on members Travel for example is reduced and may therefore meet the costs associated with support in respect of Covid-19, the Board would need to keep this under review. The Board noted the Commission’s intention to survey Members to establish whether their ICT equipment requirements were met and the Board reiterated its advice that Members should acquire Commission approved equipment even though it could be at a slightly higher cost.

1.6     The Board considered an update on the development of a Support Staff Contracts and Handbook. The Board was reassured that the initial feedback from party groups and Chiefs of Staff had been positive. The Board agreed to flag this issue in its handover note to the successor Board.

1.7     The Board noted an update on the usage of personal security devices and agreed to consider further information at its next meeting. The Board also agreed that this issue would also need to be included in the handover note to the successor Board.

1.8     The Board noted an update on appeals and asked that any appeals related to Covd-19 are brought to the attention of the Board for information once they are concluded.

1.9     The Board noted that the overtime payments for family members had been published for the first time and agreed that consideration should be undertaken at the time of the next publication, next year.

1.10   The Board discussed arrangements to handover to the successor Board in September 2020 and agreed to consider this further at the next meeting.

          Actions points:

-      The Secretariat to publish the April meeting minutes, subject to the small change as outlined above.

-      Prepare a paper for the Board to consider at the next meeting in relation to the support provided related to Covid-19.

 


Meeting: 02/04/2020 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

·         Minutes of meeting on 27 February 2020 – Paper 1

·         Update paper and work programme – Paper 2

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 26
  • Restricted enclosure 27

Minutes:

1.1     The Temporary Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2     Apologies had been received from Dame Dawn Primarolo. The Board wished her well for her absence. Jane Roberts was selected as Temporary Chair for this meeting.

1.3     No declarations of interest were made.

1.4     The Board wished to thank officials for organising today’s meeting under the current circumstances.

1.5     The Board agreed the minutes of the 27 February meeting as a correct record.

1.6     The Board noted the Commission’s correspondence related to centrally funded stationery costs. The Board agreed to consider a further paper on the issue at its next meeting.

1.7     The Board noted that the Commission was reviewing rules related to the use of Assembly resources and noted that the Clerk of the Assembly will liaise with the Chair of the Board on the revisions proposed.

1.8     The Board noted that the Assembly has cancelled its plans to conduct a week of business in north east Wales in June 2020. The Board agreed that its previous decision, that the limited number of return journeys by support staff outlined in the Determination could be utilised between the Member’s constituency/region and the location in north east Wales, would still apply should the week be rescheduled.

1.9     The Board agreed to consider further options on information security at its next meeting.

1.10 The Board considered information provided on Covid-19. In response to changes made by the Assembly, the Board agreed that it would be reasonable to provide an additional office holder’s allowance for the role of Designated Temporary Presiding Officer but not that of Acting Plenary Chair.

1.11 The Board noted and agreed its Forward Work Programme for the remainder of its term.

1.12 The Board noted that it might be required to conduct its May meeting by virtual methods. The Board also agreed to review whether to proceed with scheduled Representative Group meetings nearer the date.

Action points:

-     The Secretariat to publish the February meeting minutes.

-     The Secretariat to prepare a paper on centrally funded stationery costs.

-     The secretariat to prepare options on information security for the Board.

 


Meeting: 27/02/2020 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

·         Minutes of meeting on 16 January 2020 – Paper 1

·         Update paper and work programme – Paper 2

·         Consideration of letter from Business Committee – Paper 3

 

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 30
  • Restricted enclosure 31
  • Restricted enclosure 32

Minutes:

1.1     The Temporary Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2     Apologies had been received from Dame Dawn Primarolo. Trevor Reaney was selected as Temporary Chair for this meeting.

1.3     The Board agreed the minutes of the 16 January meeting as a correct record.

1.4     Prior to the meeting, the Board met the Member Representative Group and the support staff Representative Group, which was constructive and greatly welcomed. The Board noted that issues raised at those meetings would inform its review of the Determination for the Sixth Assembly.

1.5     The Board discussed what additional resource it could put in place to best mitigate any potential security risk to support staff as they undertake their work. The Board agreed to fund one additional personal security device for each Member’s office (in addition to the devices that are provided to Members themselves).

1.6     The Board noted that the Assembly will conduct a week of business in north east Wales in June 2020. The Board agreed that, for this week only, the limited number of return journeys by support staff outlined in the Determination could be utilised between the Member’s constituency/region and the location in north east Wales.

1.7     The Board discussed a request from the Llywydd to consider revising the salary rate for the Chair of the Standards of Conduct Committee to reflect an increase in responsibilities.

1.8     The Board agreed that the Chair should be remunerated at the committee chairs’ higher level salary rate. The Board agreed that this rate would apply from 1 March 2020 until the end of the Fifth Assembly.

1.9     The Board noted and agreed its Forward Work Programme for the remainder of its term.

Action points:

-     The Secretariat to inform the Llywydd of its decision to remunerate the role Chair of Standards of Conduct Committee to the higher level salary rate for the remainder of this Assembly.

-     The secretariat to issue the Board’s decision letter as soon as possible.


Meeting: 16/01/2020 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

·         Minutes of meeting on 21 November 2019 – Paper 1

·         Update paper and work programme – Paper 2

·         Assembly Members Pension Scheme: Investment strategy – Paper 2a

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 35
  • Restricted enclosure 36
  • Restricted enclosure 37

Minutes:

1.1        The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2        The Chair and Board members noted the temporary staffing changes for this meeting and welcomed Huw Gapper and Dan Collier.

1.3        The Board agreed the minutes of the 21 November meeting as a correct record, subject to an amendment to paragraph 3.13 to reinforce that the Board considered comparisons with other UK Parliaments when making its decision on the salary levels of support staff.

1.4        The Board noted that the Senedd and Elections (Wales) Act had received Royal Assent and that the institution’s name will change on 6 May 2020 to Senedd Cymru/Welsh Parliament. The Board noted that subsequently, its name would change to Independent Remuneration Board of the Senedd.

1.5        The Board noted that the Board’s Chair will be giving evidence to the Committee on Assembly Electoral Reform on Monday 20 January.

1.6        The Board agreed proposals to conduct an informal review of the support staff handbook. The Board agreed to consider a paper at its next meeting setting out its approach to this review.

1.7        The Board agreed to propose an amendment to the support staff Disciplinary and Grievance Procedure to clarify the grounds for appeal. The Board agreed to formally consult Members and support staff as part of its update letter following the meeting.

1.8        The Board agreed that Members should be reminded that, as employers, they have a duty of care for their support staff. The Board agreed to encourage Members to seek advice from the Assembly Commission’s security department on staying safe and secure at all times.

1.9        The Board noted the update on the Members’ Pension Board Investment Strategy.

1.10     The Board considered and agreed its work programme for the spring term.

1.11     The Board agreed to try and schedule the Representative Group meetings for the same day as the next Board meeting.

Action points:

-     The secretariat to amend and publish the minutes from the 21 November meeting;

-     The secretariat to amend the Work Programme to increase the timing of the item on the Determination for the Sixth Assembly for the 2 April meeting. 

-     The secretariat to arrange meeting with Representative Groups ahead of the February meeting.

-     MBS to prepare a paper setting out the scope of the review of the support staff handbook for consideration at the next meeting.

-     The secretariat to issue the Board’s decision letter as soon as possible.

 


Meeting: 21/11/2019 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 40
  • Restricted enclosure 41
  • Restricted enclosure 42

Minutes:

1.1        The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2        The Chair and Board members welcomed back Lleu, Clerk to the Board and expressed their best wishes.

1.3        The Chair introduced Craig Griffiths, Assembly Commission Legal Adviser and Dean Beard, Members’ Business Support to the meeting.

1.4        The Board agreed the minutes of the 19 September meeting subject to a small tweak to paragraph 5.2 to enhance readability.

1.5        The Board noted an update on the progress of Senedd and Elections (Wales) Bill, in the Assembly.

1.6        The Board noted an update on the establishment of the Committee on Assembly Reform.

1.7        The Board noted an update and acknowledges the appointment of Douglas Bain as Acting Temporary Standards Commissioner.

1.8        The Board noted an update on the recommendations of the Commission on Justice’s report ‘Justice in Wales for the people of Wales’.

1.9        The Board noted an update on the wording of the Grievance and Disciplinary Procedure concerning appeals following independent investigations along with advice from ACAS. The Board agreed for the secretariat to liaise with Representative Groups on suggested changes to the wording of the procedure with a view to consulting further as part of the consultation on the full Determination for the Sixth Assembly early in the new year.

1.10     The Board considered and agreed its work programme for the spring term.

 

Action points:

-     The secretariat to amend and publish the minutes from the 19 September meeting;

-     The secretariat to arrange meeting with Representative Groups ahead of the January meeting

-     The secretariat to make arrangements for an additional Board meeting in February 2020.

 



Meeting: 19/09/2019 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 45
  • Restricted enclosure 46

Minutes:

1.1        The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2        The Chair and Board members expressed their best wishes to Lleu Williams, clerk to the Board.

1.3        The Board agreed the minutes of the 4 July 2019 meeting.

1.4        The Board noted the update provided on the Senedd and Elections (Wales) Bill currently at Stage 2, of its legislative scrutiny.

1.5        The Board noted an update on the next phase of Assembly reform and the Assembly’s decision to establish a Committee on Assembly Electoral Reform.

1.6        The Board noted an update on the roll-out of security devices for Members.

1.7        The Board noted an update on independent investigations as part of the grievance procedure.

1.8        The Board noted an update following the recall of the Assembly.

1.9        The Board considered and agreed its forward work programme for the autumn term.

 

Action point:

-     The secretariat to publish the minutes from the July 2019 meeting.


Meeting: 04/07/2019 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 49
  • Restricted enclosure 50

Minutes:

1.1        The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2        The Chair thanked Rebecca Hardwicke and Craig Stephenson for their work in supporting the Board and wished them every success in their future endeavours.

1.3        The Board agreed the minutes of 23 May meeting.

1.4        The Board noted the update provided on the Senedd and Elections (Wales) Bill currently at Stage 1, in the Assembly.

1.5        The Board noted an update on the next phase of Assembly Reform.

1.6        The Board noted an update on the procurement of personal security devices for Members.

1.7        The Board noted an update on a recent tribunal hearing and subsequent judgement in relation to contracts for group staff.

1.8        The Board noted an update on the recent internal audit of Members’ Business Support.

1.9        The Board noted an update following the publication of the Dignity and Respect survey results.

1.10     The Board considered and agreed its work programme for the autumn term.

 

Action points:

-     The secretariat to publish the minutes from the May 2019 meeting.

-     The secretariat to write to group staff informing them of the impact of the judgement on their contracts.

 


Meeting: 23/05/2019 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 53
  • Restricted enclosure 54

Minutes:

1.1        The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2        The Chair noted apologies from Michael Redhouse and Ronnie Alexander, both had provided comments on papers ahead of the meeting.

1.3        The Chair welcomed Ruth Hatton to her first meeting, as Deputy Clerk.

1.4        The Board agreed the minutes of 21 March 2019 meeting subject to a small change.

1.5        The Board noted the update on the Senedd and Elections (Wales) Bill currently at Stage 1 in the Assembly.

1.6        The Board agreed proposed changes to the Disciplinary and Grievance procedure following consultation with Members and support staff. The Board agreed to implement the procedures as soon as possible.

1.7        The Board noted the update on the procurement of personal safety alarms for Members and agreed to consider a further update at the next meeting flowing the completion of the procurement process.

1.8        The Board agreed for the secretariat to continue to remind Independent Members and support staff of the ways in which they can engage with and feed views to the Board.

1.9        The Board noted an update in relation to the renewal of Employment Practices insurance. The Board agreed to receive a further update at the next meeting following discussions with the Assembly Commission.

1.10     The Board noted changes within political Groups in the Assembly over recent weeks and agreed to monitor changes that may have an impact on the Party Political Support Allowance.


Meeting: 21/03/2019 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair’s introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 57
  • Restricted enclosure 58
  • Restricted enclosure 59

Minutes:

1.1.     The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2.     The Chair received apologies from Trevor Reaney. Trevor commented on each item in advance of the meeting.

1.3.     The Chair welcomed Joanna Adams to the meeting, who will support the Board in her role as the Assembly Member Senior Business Partner.

1.4.     The Chair informed the Board that this will be Sian Giddins’ last meeting at Deputy Clerk to the Board. On behalf of the Board, the Chair thanked Sian for her work over the past two years and wished her well in her new role.

1.5.     The Board agreed the minute of the meeting on 17 January 2019, subject to a minor amendment.

1.6.     The Board discussed the potential implications of the Senedd and Elections (Wales) Bill on its remit and agreed to monitor the Bill’s passage through the Assembly.

1.7.     The Board discussed the revisions to the relevant policies and procedures in light of its previous decisions to introduce privilege days and a formal compassionate leave policy in addition to amending the Disciplinary and Grievances Procedures. The Board agreed to share the policies and procedures with the Representative Groups before formally introducing them.

1.8.     The Board noted the recent media coverage of the winding up allowance and agreed to maintain the current provisions.

1.9.     The secretariat informed the Board that following its decision to write to all support staff who work for independent Assembly Members to ask them to formalise arrangement for engaging with the Board a consensus had not been achieved as to who should represent this cohort of staff. As such, the Board agreed to share relevant information with all such staff electronically.

Action points:

The secretariat to:

-        publish the note of the meeting on 17 January;

-        circulate the revised policies and procedures to the Representative Groups;

-        write to all support staff who work for independent Members to inform them of its decision.


Meeting: 17/01/2019 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 62
  • Restricted enclosure 63

Minutes:

1.1.     The Chair welcomed the Board members to the meeting.

1.2.     The Board agreed the minute of the meeting on 22 November 2018.

1.3.     The Board passed on their condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Steffan Lewis, the former Assembly Member, following their loss. The Board thanked the:

-     team in Members’ Business Support for the support and advice they continue to provide to Steffan’s family and support staff;

-     secretariat for keeping the Board informed of the issues arising.

1.4.     The Board noted the provisions for winding up Steffan Lewis’ office.

1.5.     The Board undertook its annual review of all applications it had previously approved for exceptional expenses and agreed, in light of the assurances from the Members their situation remains the same as when the Board first approved the additional payments, to maintain the additional payments. The Board noted, the number and amounts of exceptional payments made in 2018-19 will be published in its annual report.

1.6.     The Board agreed to write to all support staff who work for independent Assembly Members to ask them to formalise arrangements for engaging with the Board.

Action points:

The secretariat to:

-     publish the note of the meeting on 22 November;

-     inform all Members receiving exceptional expenses of the Board’s decision;

-     write to support staff of independent Members to formalise arrangements for engaging with the Board.

 


Meeting: 22/11/2018 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 66
  • Restricted enclosure 67

Minutes:

1.1.      The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2.      The Board congratulated John Chick on his recent appointment at the  Intellectual Property Office. On behalf of the Board, the Chair thanked John for his work, guidance and support to the Board.

1.3.      The Board congratulated Rebecca Hardwicke on her appointment as John’s replacement.

1.4.      The Board agreed the minutes of the meeting on 11 October 2018.

1.5.      The Chair declared an interest for item two as she is a non-executive Director at Thompson's Solicitors.

Action point:

The secretariat to publish the minute of the meeting on 11 October 2018.


Meeting: 11/10/2018 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 70
  • Restricted enclosure 71

Minutes:

1.1      The Chair welcomed the Board members to the meeting.

1.2      The Board agreed the minute of the meeting on 5 July 2018.

1.3      The Board agreed the terms of reference for the Governance Group of the National Assembly for Wales Assembly Members’ support staff Pension scheme. The Board welcomed the Assembly Commission’s nomination for its Director of Finance to represent the Commission on the Board alongside the Commission’s Head of Pensions and a member of the Remuneration Board.

1.4      The Board noted that there was still a vacancy on the Pension Board for the Assembly Member Pension Scheme following the resignation of Caroline Jones AM from this role. The Board agreed to write to the Assembly Commission, asking that the Commission nominates its representative to the Pension Board as soon as possible in order to ensure a continuity to the membership.

1.5      The Board noted the inquiry into pregnancy, maternity and work in Wales undertaken by the Equality, Local Government and Communities Committee. The Board agreed to consider the relevant issues raised as part of this inquiry in its forward work programme where appropriate.

Action point:

The secretariat to publish the minute of the meeting on 5 July 2018.


Meeting: 05/07/2018 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 74
  • Restricted enclosure 75

Minutes:

1.1.     The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2.     The Board agreed the minutes of the meeting on 24 May 2018.

Action point:

The secretariat to publish the minute of the meeting on 24 May.


Meeting: 24/05/2018 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 78
  • Restricted enclosure 79

Minutes:

1.1      The Chair welcomed the Board members to the meeting.

1.2      The Board congratulated Adrian Crompton on his recent appointment as the Auditor General for Wales. On behalf of the Board, the Chair thanked Adrian for his work, guidance and support in his role as senior advisor to the Board.

1.3      The Chair welcomed Craig Stephenson to the meeting, who will support the Board in light of Adrian’s departure.

1.4      The Board agreed the minute of the meeting on 15 March 2018.

1.5      The Board considered the provisions within the Determination with regards to exceptional expenses and agreed to return to the issue at its July meeting.

1.6      The Board considered it forward work programme and agreed to return to the issue once it has agreed the scope of the review of the Determination for the Sixth Assembly.

 

Action points:

The secretariat to publish the minute of the meeting on 15 March 2018.


Meeting: 15/03/2018 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 82
  • Restricted enclosure 83

Minutes:

1.1      The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2      The Board agreed the minutes of the meeting on 25 January.

1.3      The Board noted the statement made by the Chair of the Standards of Conduct Committee during Plenary on 7 March regarding its work on developing a dignity and respect policy. The Board agreed to review the relevant policies in place for support staff once the policies for Members is agreed to ensure both policies are consistent.

1.4      The Board agreed to review how it engages with the Representative Groups.

1.5      The Board considered the provisional meeting dates and draft forward work programme up to July 2020 and agreed to return to the issue at a future meeting.


Meeting: 25/01/2018 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 86
  • Restricted enclosure 87
  • Restricted enclosure 88

Minutes:

1.1         The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2        The Board welcomed John Chick to the meeting who had returned to the Assembly. The Chair also offered the Board’s thanks to Rebecca Hardwicke and Carys Rees for their work on behalf of the Board during John’s absence.

1.3         The Board agreed the minutes of 23 November 2017 subject to minor changes.

1.4         The Board agree to write to the Commission to request that the legislation to change of the name of the Assembly to the Welsh Parliament also includes a provision to change the Board’s name to the Independent Remuneration Board for the Welsh Parliament.

1.5         The Board noted that the resignation of Nathan Gill and subsequent decision that his successor Mandy Jones AM would not be a member of the UKIP group in the Assembly had no impact on the allowance for political parties.

1.6         The Board agreed that the membership of the Assembly Member support staff representative group membership should comprise of one support staff from each political party and one representative from each trade union.

1.7         The Board noted its meeting dates and the potential dates for the meetings of the Representative Groups.

Action points:

The Board to:

-     write to the Assembly Commission outlining why it would like to change its name;

-     write to the Assembly Member support staff Representative Group to confirm its membership.


Meeting: 23/11/2017 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 91
  • Restricted enclosure 92

Minutes:

1.1.    The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting. The Chair thanked the Board members for agreeing to conduct the meeting via teleconference and for re-arranging its business in light of the tragic events of 7 November.

1.2.    The Chair received apologies from Jane Roberts who was unable to attend the meeting at short notice due to travel disruption and was therefore unable to participate via teleconference. Jane commented on each item in advance of the meeting.

1.3.    The Board agreed the minutes of the meeting on 12 October.

1.4.    The Board passed on their condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Carl Sargeant, the former Assembly Member, following their loss. The Board thanked the:

-     team in Members’ Business Support for the support and advice they continue to provide to Carl’s family and Support Staff; and

-     secretariat for keeping the Board informed of the issues arising.

1.5.    The Board noted the provisions for winding up Carl Sargent’s office. 

1.6.    The Board noted the Finance Committee’s report on the Assembly Commission Draft Budget 2018 – 19, which included two recommendations with the regards to the impact of Board’s underspend on the Commission’s budget.

1.7.    The Board considered the financial implications of the recent Cabinet re-shuffle on:

-     the allowance for political parties in light of the provisions within the Determination; and

-     the overall budget in light of the creation of two new Ministerial posts.

1.8.    The Board noted its meeting dates and the potential dates for meetings of the Representative Groups.

 


Meeting: 12/10/2017 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 95
  • Restricted enclosure 96
  • Restricted enclosure 97

Minutes:

1.1.    The Chair welcomed the Board members to the meeting.

1.2.    The Board agreed the minutes of the meetings on 11 and 12 July 2017.

1.3.    The Board noted its work programme for the remainder of 2017 and its meeting dates up to March 2019.

1.4.    The Board noted:

-         the progress made by the Wales Governance Centre regarding the data collection for the research into the barriers to and incentives for standing for election to the Assembly; and

-         the update on the cost cap valuation and annual allowance for the Members Pension Scheme.

1.5.    The Board considered and agreed, subject to minor alterations, the proposals for its own independent microsite. The Board agreed to review the microsite on a regular basis in line with its wider engagement strategy.

1.6.    The Board considered the effect of a Member leaving a political group and re-affirmed their decision from 24 May 2017 that Political Party Support Allowance will be allocated to independent Members.

1.7.    The Board agreed to write to all Members who are yet to implement the security measures identified following the review their office(s) to urge Members to ensure the relevant work is undertaken. Further to this, the Board agreed to write to all Members to ensure that all volunteers based in their offices undertake the relevant security checks.

1.8.    The Board considered the financial implications of Members having more than one office and agreed to consider this at a later date.

1.9.    The Board considered the provisions surrounding redundancy and agreed to consider redundancy during an office restructure at a later date.

1.10. The Board considered the implications of the proposed new funding arrangements for caseworker system for Members and agreed to revisit the issue during its review of the office cost allowance for 2018-19.

Action points:

The Board to write to:

-     Members who are yet to implement the measures identified following the security review of their office;

-     all Members to ensure that any volunteers in their offices undergo the relevant security checks; and

-     return to the issues noted above at relevant dates.

The secretariat to publish the minutes of the meeting of the 11 and 12 July meeting.


Meeting: 11/07/2017 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 100
  • Restricted enclosure 101

Minutes:

1.1 The Chair welcomed the Board members to the meeting. On behalf of the Board, the Chair congratulated Ronnie Alexander on his appointment to the Board and welcomed him to his first Board meeting.

 

1.2 The Chair welcomed Lleu Williams who had been appointed the new Clerk of the Remuneration Board. The Chair also offered the Board’s thanks to Dan Collier for his work on behalf of the Board and congratulated him on a recent promotion.

 

1.3 The Board agreed the minute of the meeting on 24 May 2017.

 

1.4 The Board noted its work programme for the remainder of 2017 and its meeting dates up to March 2019. The Board agreed to use both the October and November 2017 meeting dates.

 

1.5 The Board agreed to formally invite the Chair of the Expert Panel on Assembly Electoral Reform to its meeting in October 2017 to discuss the issues which may relate to the Board’s future work in developing a Determination which is fit for the Sixth Assembly.

 

1.6 The Secretariat informed the Board a paper outlining the process Members Business Support use in administrating claims would be provided at the Board’s October meeting.

 

1.7 The Board discussed the process for reviewing the security of Members’ offices and homes and asked the Secretariat to remind Members of the services available to them.

 

1.8 The Board passed on their condolences to the families of Sam Gould, Senior Advisor to Nathan Gill AM, and Ben Davies, Deputy Chief of Staff for the Welsh Conservatives, following their loss.

 

1.9 The Board noted the question which was asked to the Assembly Questions on 5 July and agreed to consider the role of paid internships with Assembly Members as part of its wider review of support for Members

 

Action points:

The secretariat to

-     publish the minutes of the 24 May meeting;

-     invite the Chair of the Expert Panel on Assembly Electoral Reform to the Board’s meeting in October 2017;

-     prepare a paper outlining the process Members Business Support use in administrating claims; and

-     remind Members of the services available to them with regard to security reviews.

 

 

 


Meeting: 24/05/2017 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 104
  • Restricted enclosure 105
  • Restricted enclosure 106

Minutes:

1.1 The Chair welcomed the Board to the meeting.

 

1.2 The Board agreed the minute of the meeting on 23 March 2017.

 

1.3 The Board:

·         noted its work programme for the remainder of 2017 and its meeting dates up to March 2018;

·         to defer a decision on cancelling its October 2017 meeting to its meeting in July;

·         agreed to consider its meeting dates up to March 2019 outside of the meeting and for these dates to be agreed at the Board’s July meeting.

 

1.4 The Board considered the results of the first annual Assembly Member and Support Staff satisfaction survey and noted that some results may be relevant to its work on the effectiveness and underpinning principles of the Determination.

 

1.5 The Chair updated the Board on the recent recruitment exercise for the appointment of a new Board member.

 

1.6 The Chair informed the Board she would be meeting with the Chair of the Expert Panel on Assembly Electoral Reform to discuss any issues which may relate to the Board’s future work in developing a Determination which is fit for the Sixth Assembly.

 

1.7 The Board agreed to consider developing a definition for the role of Assembly Members and their support staff to be included within the Determination.

 

1.8 The Board agreed to consider the process that Members Business Support use in administrating claims at its next meeting.

 

 


Meeting: 23/03/2017 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 109
  • Restricted enclosure 110

Minutes:

1.1 The Chair welcomed the Board members to the meeting.

 

1.2 Dame Jane Roberts declared on an interest for item 3 as she is a member of the governing body of the Institute for Public Policy for Wales.

 

1.3 The Board agreed the minute of the meeting on 23 January 2017 subject to minor amendments.

 

1.4 The Board noted its work programme for the remainder of 2017 and its meeting dates up to March 2018.

 

1.5 The Board considered a Freedom of Information on the Board’s work and agreed it didn’t hold any information in line with the request.

 

1.6 The Board considered the use of volunteers by Assembly Members and agreed with the advice provided to Assembly Members.

 

1.7 The Board agreed to consider the number of regional and constituency offices an Assembly Members can lease at a later date.

 

1.8 The Board considered the process for advising Assembly Member’s on their office lease contracts and agreed to:

·         write to the Assembly Commission to note its concerns on the matter; and

·         review the process during its discussions on the fifth determination.

 

1.9 The Board considered how best to engage with the Llywydd’s Expert Panel on Assembly Electoral Reform given that any of its recommendations that the Assembly Commission wishes to take forward is likely to impact its work. The Board agreed to write to the Chair of the Panel to ensure it has an opportunity to engage at an appropriate opportunity.

 

1.10 In light of the recent announcement by Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority regarding Member’s appointing family members the Board agreed to consider this principle at a later date.

 

1.11 The Board agreed to monitor the number of overtime claims submitted by Assembly Member Support Staff to ensure the hours worked provide a work life balance and a duty of care is demonstrated to all staff.

 

1.12 The Board agreed to allow the remaining budget from the security review to be carried over to the next financial year but stressed the urgency for all Assembly Members to undertake the necessary upgrades as a matter of urgency.

 

1.13 The Board agreed to consider its public engagement strategy at its next meeting.

 

 

 

 



Meeting: 26/01/2017 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 113
  • Restricted enclosure 114
  • Restricted enclosure 115

Minutes:

1.1 The Chair welcomed the Board members to the meeting.

 

1.2 The Board agreed the minute of the meetings on 16 and 17 November 2016 subject to minor amendments.

 

1.3 The Board noted its work programme for the remainder of 2017.

 

1.4 The Board agreed the dates for its meetings up to March 2018.

 

1.5 The Board agreed to arrange meetings with the AM Representative Group and the AMSS Representative Group.

 

1.6 Dame Jane Roberts declared an interest for item 3 as she is a member of the governing body of the Institute for Public Policy for Wales.  


Meeting: 16/11/2016 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Minutes:

1.1 The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

 

1.2 The Chair received apologies from Trevor Reaney, who had commented on each item via email.

 

1.3 The Board agreed the minutes of the meeting on 5-6 July and 15-16 September 2016.

 

1.4 The Board considered and agreed its draft work programme, including a timeline of key stages of the Board’s work over the course of the Fifth Assembly.

 

1.5 The Chair informed the Board that Laura McAllister was attending the item to consider the Board’s strategy for 2016-2021 to provide the Board with assurance about the strategy’s fit with the challenges ahead for the Assembly in Wales.

 


Meeting: 06/07/2016 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 120

Minutes:

1.1     The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

 

1.2     The Board agreed the minutes of the meeting on 24 March 2016.

 

1.3     Board members conveyed their thanks to Gwion Evans who had moved from his role as Clerk of the Board to support the Presiding Officer.

 

1.4     The Board also wished John Chick well on his career break for 12 months.

 

1.5     The Board agreed to consider the update from MBS as its first item on the agenda for today’s meeting.


Meeting: 24/03/2016 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 123

Minutes:

1.1 The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

 

1.2 The Board agreed the minutes of the meeting on 28 January 2016.

 


Meeting: 28/01/2016 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

·        Declarations of interest

 

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 126
  • Restricted enclosure 127

Minutes:

1.1 The Chair welcomed Gwion Evans who had been appointed the new Clerk of the Remuneration Board.

 

1.2 The Board discussed the procedure for Board members declaring interests at each meeting. It was agreed that, in addition to any general  interests of potential relevance to the Board’s work previously declared and registered, members should declare particular interests when relevant to specific items on the agenda.

 

1.3  The Chair provided feedback from the Assembly Member Representative group and Assembly Member Support Staff (AMSS) Representative Group meetings and the drop-in session held during Plenary on 27 January.

 

1.4 Subject to minor amendments, the Board agreed the minutes of the meeting on 10 December 2015.

 


Meeting: 10/12/2015 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's Introduction

Minutes:

1.1 The Chair welcomed the Board and outlined that this meeting would provide.

 

1.2  Jane Roberts declared an interest as a member of the Public Policy Institute of Wales.

 

1.3  The Chair welcomed Gwion Evans who had been appointed the new Clerk of the Remuneration Board. The Board noted that, as this was his first day in the post, he would be observing proceedings.

 

1.4  The Chair provided feedback from the AM Representative group meeting and a drop-in session held during Plenary the day before.

 


Meeting: 17/09/2015 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 5)

Chair's introduction and debrief

Minutes:

5.1 Board members discussed its introduction to the work of the Assembly.


Meeting: 17/09/2015 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Minutes:

1.1        The Chair welcomed Board members to the first meeting of the new Remuneration Board.

1.2        The Chair explained that this first meeting would be an opportunity for Board members to learn more about their role, how the National Assembly for Wales operates and the role of Assembly Members.


Meeting: 03/07/2015 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

·        Declarations of interest

 

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 136
  • Restricted enclosure 137
  • Restricted enclosure 138

Minutes:

1.1  The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2  The Board agreed the minutes of the meeting on 22 May 2015.

 


Meeting: 22/05/2015 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's Introduction

·        Declarations of interest

 

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 141
  • Restricted enclosure 142
  • Restricted enclosure 143

Minutes:

1.1  The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2  Apologies had been received from Stuart Castledine.

1.3  The Board agreed the minutes of the meeting on 24 April 2015.

1.4  The Board noted that Wragge & Co would respond with the latest draft of the pension scheme rules on 5 June. Board members would consider the amended scheme rules and will then seek approval of the pension scheme from HM Treasury.

1.5  The Board noted that the Chair had met with Mitchel McLaughlin, Speaker of the Northern Ireland Assembly to share good practice.

1.6  The Board noted that the recruitment of the Board for the next five year term was currently under way and that interviews would take place in July.

1.7  The Board agreed that the work programme should be updated to include legacy issues.

Action point:

  • The Board agreed to draft a response to the recommendation from the Presiding Officer’s Women in Democracy Caucus.

 


Meeting: 24/04/2015 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's Introduction

·        Declarations of interest

 

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 146
  • Restricted enclosure 147
  • Restricted enclosure 148

Minutes:

1.1 The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2 Apologies had been received from Monojit Chatterji.

1.3 Subject to minor amendments, the Board agreed the minutes of the meeting on 20 February 2015.

1.4 The Board noted that an advert to recruit a new Chair and Board members of the successor Remuneration Board had been published and that the deadline for applications was 1 May 2015.

1.5 The Board considered the costs relating to the drafting of the Pension Scheme and agreed revised costs for the remainder of the work to be done by Wragge & Co. The Board noted that any further work which may arise from discussions with HM Treasury or relating to the implementation of the Scheme would need to be costed separately.

1.6 The Board considered how it should respond to the recommendation addressed to it from the Caucus for Women. It requested clarification on what was meant by the term ‘pastoral’ in its recommendation to the Board. The Board agreed that it would write to the Caucus once it had received the clarification.

 


Meeting: 20/02/2015 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

·        Declarations of interest

 

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 151
  • Restricted enclosure 152
  • Restricted enclosure 153

Minutes:

1.1 The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2 Apologies had been received from Stuart Castledine.

1.3 Subject to minor amendments, the Board agreed the minutes of the meeting on 16 January 2015.

 


Meeting: 16/01/2015 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's Introduction

• Declarations of interest

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 156
  • Restricted enclosure 157

Minutes:

1.1 The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2 Apologies had been received from Stuart Castledine.

1.3 Subject to minor amendments, the Board agreed the minutes of the meeting on 12 December 2014.

1.4 Mary Carter updated the Board on the meeting with HM Treasury to discuss the AM pension scheme. The Board agreed to write to the Trustees requesting that GAD be engaged to provide costs relating to strict compliance with PSPA over and above the board’s preferred “light touch” approach.

 


Meeting: 12/12/2014 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

·        Declarations of interest

 

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 160
  • Restricted enclosure 161
  • Restricted enclosure 162

Minutes:

1.1 The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2 Subject to minor amendments, the Board agreed the minutes of the meeting on 28 November 2014.

1.3 The Board will consider all responses to the consultation on AM salaries when it closes on 12 January 2015.

 


Meeting: 28/11/2014 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

1 Chair's Introduction

• Minutes of meeting on 16/17 October 2014 – Paper 1

• Declarations of interest

• General update on progress – Paper 2

Supporting documents:

  • WRB (28) Paper 1 - Draft Procedural Minutes - 16-17 October 2014 v3
  • WRB (28) Paper 2 - General Update on progress

Minutes:

1.1 The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2 Subject to minor amendments, the Board agreed the minutes of the meeting on 16-17 October 2014.

1.3 The Board noted and discussed the paper to note - a letter from the Presiding Officer regarding the level of staffing support required to manage the demands placed on Assembly Members.

1.4 The Board noted the work programme up to April 2015.

 


Meeting: 16/10/2014 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 4)

Chair's introduction

Minutes:

4.1 The Chair welcomed the Board members to the second day of the meeting.


Meeting: 16/10/2014 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

·        Declarations of interest

 

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 172
  • Restricted enclosure 173
  • Restricted enclosure 174

Minutes:

1.1 The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2 The Board agreed the minutes of the meeting on 29 August 2014.

1.3 The Chair declared that he was no longer Chair of the Bevan Foundation.

1.4The Board noted that Stuart Casteldine had met with Julie Morgan AM to discuss her thoughts on being a current AM and former MP. He also met former Assembly Member, Jonathan Morgan, to seek his views on how he managed the transition between being an AM and losing his seat in an election.

1.5 The Board also noted that the Chair had a brief discussion with David Davies (a former AM, currently and MP).

1.6 The Board noted that it was unable to secure a copy of the ‘remit letter’ of the Counsel General from the Welsh Government, therefore it would make decisions on the Counsel General’s salary based on the evidence that had been provided.

1.7 The Board briefly touched upon the approach to AMSS Continuous Service in the Scottish Parliament, John Chick agreed to conduct further research into the system they use to pool MSP Support Staff to ensure continuity of service.

Action points:

·         The Board agreed to share the report provided by Wragge & Co on AM pension arrangements with the Board of Trustees of the Pension Board.

·         Staff to conduct further research into how the Scottish Parliament pools MSP Support Staff.

 

 


Meeting: 29/08/2014 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 177
  • Restricted enclosure 178
  • Restricted enclosure 179

Minutes:

1.1 The Chair welcomed Board members to the meeting.

1.2 The Chair welcomed Professor Laura McAllister to her first meeting. She joins the Board for a year as it concludes its review of the remuneration package for Assembly Members in the Fifth Assembly.

1.3 The Board agreed the minutes of meetings in March and June 2015, subject to minor amendments.

1.4 The Board agreed that a less formal discussion on the strategic approach to its remaining work should be arranged during the next meeting.

1.5 Board members indicated that they would like to speak to former AMs who are currently MPs as part of its consideration of pension arrangements.

1.6 Although the Board were grateful for the additional information on the series of responsibilities of the Counsel General, they questionned why the remit letter was considered confidential information. They noted that other public bodies in Wales routinely made remit letters available to the public.

1.7 The Board discussed the forthcoming meeting with the Assembly Commission.

Action points:

·         Assembly Commission staff to pursue phonecalls with AMs who used to be MPS, and those MPs who used to be AMs.

·         Assembly Commission staff to contact the Welsh Government requesting further explanation as to why the remit letter was not a public document.

·         Assembly Commission staff to re-circulate the notes of recent office holder meetings.

·         Assembly Commission staff to draft a response to the letter from  the Presiding Officer (Paper 13) stating that the Chair was looking forward to the discussion on the work of the Board at the Assembly Commission meeting in November.

·         Assembly Commission staff to provide briefing for Members on areas for discussion with the Commission and inform Members of when the Assembly Commission meeting will take place.

 

 


Meeting: 19/06/2014 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's Introduction

 

·        Declarations of interest

·        Minutes of meeting on 20/21 March 2014 – Paper 1

·        General update on progress – Paper 2

·        Correspondence from the Labour group regarding the Board’s AM survey – Paper 3, Annex

·        Summary of AM survey responses – Paper 4

·        Correspondence from the Presiding Officer regarding the Assembly Commission’s strategy – Paper 5

 

 

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 182
  • Restricted enclosure 183
  • Restricted enclosure 184
  • Restricted enclosure 185
  • Restricted enclosure 186
  • Restricted enclosure 187

Minutes:

1.1        The Chair welcomed the Board to the meeting.

1.2        Apologies had been received from Monojit Chatterji. The Board wished him a speedy recovery.

1.3        The Chair declared an interest as he had accepted hospitality from the Counsel General in a personal capacity.

1.4        Stuart Castledine informed the Board that he was no longer non-executive of the Welsh Ambulance Service.

1.5        Minutes of the previous meeting on 20/21 March 2014 were reviewed. The Board agreed that a more detailed and substatial minute of the meeting should be drafted and re-circulated to Board members. The Board also agreed that the minutes of future meetings should be more detailed and clearly outline decisions made.

 

1.6        The Board discussed the meetings with office holders.

 

1.7        The Board noted the update on progress, which had been provided by the Clerk.

 

1.8        The Board noted that the tender for the AM job evaluation exercise had been awarded to HayGroup. Board members emphasised that the exercise should seek the views of a broad range of people. The Board also requested that the exercise consider the differing responsibilities of Government party back-benchers and opposition back-benchers.  

 

1.9        The Board noted the correspondence from the Labour Group regarding the AM survey and agreed to respond to the letter.

 

1.10    The Board noted the summary of responses to the AM survey.

 

1.11    The Board noted the correspondence from the Presiding Officer regarding the Assembly Commission’s strategy and agreed to respond to her setting out decisions and discussions of particular relevance to the Commission and how the Board intends to proceed.

 


Meeting: 21/03/2014 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

·         Minutes of meeting on 31 January 2014 – Paper 3

·         Declarations of interest

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 190

Minutes:

1.1     The Chair welcomed the Board to the meeting.

1.2     Minutes of the previous meetings on 31 January 2014 were reviewed and confirmed as a correct record.


Meeting: 31/01/2014 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

·                     Minutes of meeting on 18 October 2013 - Paper 1a

·                     Minutes of meeting on 14/15 November 2013 - Paper 1b 

·                     Declarations of Interest

·                     Feedback from meetings with Party Leaders

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 193
  • Restricted enclosure 194

Minutes:

1.1     The Chair welcomed the Board to the meeting.

 

1.2     Minutes of the previous meetings on 18 October and 14/15 November were reviewed and, following a suggestion to amend the title of Sandy Blair from Interim Chair to Chair, were confirmed as a correct record.

 

1.3     Professor Monojit Chatterji declared an interest as he had recently been appointed lay member of the House of Commons Speaker’s Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA). There were no other declarations of interest.


Meeting: 15/11/2013 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's update

Minutes:

1.1     The Interim Chair welcomed the Board back to the meeting.


Meeting: 14/11/2013 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

·         Paper 1-  Minutes of meeting on 21 June 2013

·         Declarations of Interest

·         Discuss forthcoming meeting with Independent Advisers

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 199

Minutes:

1.1     The Interim Chair welcomed the Board to the meeting and noted that this was its first meeting without Sir George Reid. The Board were pleased to note that Sir George Reid’s operation had been successful and that he was convalescing well. The Board recognised the important role that Sir George Reid had played in the Remuneration Board and wished him a speedy recovery.

1.2     The Interim Chair extended a welcome to Gareth Price and Dan Collier, recently appointed as the Clerk and Deputy Clerk respectively and wished to place on record his gratitude to the out-going Clerk and Deputy Clerk, Carys Evans and Al Davies, for their valuable contribution to the work of the Remuneration Board.

 

1.3     Minutes of the previous 22 March meeting were reviewed and confirmed as a correct record.

 

1.4     The Interim Chair declared an interest as he had recently been appointed Chair of the Bevan Foundation, which has previously undertaken work for the National Assembly for Wales and for individual Assembly Members. There were no other declarations of interest.


Meeting: 21/06/2013 - Remuneration Board (2010 - 2020) (Item 1)

Chair's introduction

·         Paper 1-  Minutes of meeting on 22 March 2013

·         Declarations of Interest

Supporting documents:

  • Restricted enclosure 202

Minutes:

1.       The Chair welcomed the Board to its Nineteenth meeting andb extended a welcome to Anna Daniel, recently appointed as the Assembly’s Head of Strategic Transformation Service who’s Team would in due course assume responsibility for secretariat support to the Board.

 

2.       Minutes of the previous 22 March meeting were reviewed and confirmed as a correct record.

 

3.       There were no declarations of interest.