Concise Minutes - Petitions Committee


Meeting Venue:

Committee Room 1 - Senedd

Meeting date: Tuesday, 5 March 2019

Meeting time: 09.00 - 10.30
This meeting can be viewed
on Senedd TV at:
http://senedd.tv/en/5288


------

Attendance

Category

Names

Assembly Members:

David J Rowlands AM (Chair)

Janet Finch-Saunders AM

Mike Hedges AM

Neil McEvoy AM

Leanne Wood AM

Witnesses:

Julie Morgan AM, Deputy Minister for Health and Social Services

Gareth Griffiths, Welsh Government

Committee Staff:

Graeme Francis (Clerk)

Ross Davies (Deputy Clerk)

Kathryn Thomas (Deputy Clerk)

Sam Davies (Legal Adviser)

 

<AI1>

1       Introduction, apologies, substitutions and declarations of interest

</AI1>

<AI2>

2       New petitions

</AI2>

<AI3>

2.1   P-05-864 Ban the use of 'Hostile Architecture

The Committee considered the petition for the first time and agreed to write to the Minister for Housing and Local Government to:

·         ask for her views specifically in relation to the merits and practicality of the petition’s call for a ban or moratorium on the use of hostile architecture in Wales;

·         ask her to consider issuing a Technical Advice Note on the use of hostile architecture; and

·         ask her what planning controls could be put in place in order to provide closer oversight of the retrospective installation of hostile architecture.

</AI3>

<AI4>

2.2   P-05-865 Guarantee fully plant-based options on every public sector menu to protect the rights of vegans and for our health, the environment and animals

The Committee considered the petition for the first time and agreed to write to the Minister for Health and Social Services and the Minister for Education to ask what assessment or research has been carried out in relation to the sufficiency of menu options currently available in Welsh hospitals and schools for people following a vegan diet.

</AI4>

<AI5>

3       Updates to previous petitions

</AI5>

<AI6>

3.1   P-04-648 Unconventional Oil and Gas Planning Applications

The Committee considered correspondence from the Minister for Environment, Energy and Rural Affairs and agreed to close the petition in light of the confirmation that Welsh Government policy has been amended to the effect that Ministers will be notified about, and will consider calling in, all future planning applications for unconventional oil and gas development, where local planning authorities are not minded to reject them.

</AI6>

<AI7>

3.2   P-05-788 Remove the compulsory aspect of Welsh Baccalaureate

The Committee agreed to:

·         await the publication of the Children, Young People and Education Committee’s report on the status of the Welsh Baccalaureate and to send it to petitioner for comment; and

·         write again to the WJEC to request a response on this matter and to express disappointment at the lack of response to previous correspondence. 

</AI7>

<AI8>

3.3   P-05-805 Fair Deal For Supply Teachers

The Committee considered further correspondence and agreed to invite the Minister for Education to attend a Committee meeting in order to provide further evidence on this issue.

</AI8>

<AI9>

3.4   P-05-828 Presumption in favour of rural schools

The Committee considered further correspondence and agreed to:

·         write to the petitioners and others to advise them that the appropriate course of action is for them to raise their concerns directly with the Minister for Education and request that she considers whether there is justification for her to intervene in this case, as outlined in her letter; and 

·         write to the Minister for Education to ask her for a response to the proposal that there should be a direct route for school governors to appeal decisions reached under the School Organisation Code, and to provide details of any consideration given to an appeals process during the review of the Code.

</AI9>

<AI10>

3.5   P-05-812 We call for the Welsh Government to encourage trusts to implement the NICE guidelines for Borderline Personality Disorder or justify why they do not do so

The Committee considered further correspondence from the petitioner and agreed to write to the Minister for Health and Social Services to request an update on the development of psychological therapy services, including the funding awarded to health boards, since his previous letter in June 2018.

</AI10>

<AI11>

3.6   P-05-854 Make learning disability training mandatory for hospital staff

The Committee considered further correspondence and agreed to await the expected announcement of funding to support the Improving Lives Programme and the outcome of the consultation being run by the Department of Health in England, before considering further actions on the petition.

</AI11>

<AI12>

3.7   P-04-667 Roundabout for the A477/ A4075 Junction

The Committee agreed to write to the Minister for Economy and Transport to seek a response to the information and suggestions provided by Pembrokeshire County Council, to ask for an update on further assessments made in relation to the road design and safety at the junction, and request a copy of the RSA 36 month review.

</AI12>

<AI13>

3.8   P-05-748 School Buses for School Children

The Committee agreed to write to Children’s Commissioner for Wales to seek her views on the issues raised in the petition and ask for any reflections she has about the appropriateness and safety of children using public buses to travel to and from school.

</AI13>

<AI14>

3.9   P-05-833 Improve rail services for Chepstow

The Committee considered further correspondence and, in light of the information provided by the Minister for Economy and Transport, agreed to close the petition on the basis that there appears to be little further which could be achieved at this time.

</AI14>

<AI15>

3.10 P-05-818 Introducing a Register of Lobbyists in Wales

The Committee agreed to write to the Chair of the Standards Committee to ask:

 

</AI15>

<AI16>

3.11 P-05-813 Ban the USE of LARSEN TRAPS (Multi Corvid Traps)

The Committee agreed to write to the Minister for Environment, Energy and Rural Affairs and Natural Resources Wales in order to highlight the information received from a range of stakeholders, and seek responses to the concerns raised about the use and regulation of Larsen traps as well as further information about any action being taken or considered in this area.

</AI16>

<AI17>

4       Evidence Session - P-05-771 Reconsider the closure of the Welsh Independent Living Grant and support disabled people to live independently

The Committee heard evidence from the Deputy Minister for Health and Social Services and Gareth Griffiths.

</AI17>

<AI18>

5       Motion under Standing Order 17.42 to resolve to exclude the public from the meeting for the following business:

</AI18>

<AI19>

6       Discussion of Previous Evidence Session

The Committee considered the evidence provided by the Deputy Minister for Health and Social Services and agreed to request an update on the transition process and the outcomes of reviews carried out by independent social workers in six months.

</AI19>

<TRAILER_SECTION>

</TRAILER_SECTION>

<LAYOUT_SECTION>

1.          FIELD_TITLE

FIELD_SUMMARY

</LAYOUT_SECTION>

<TITLE_ONLY_LAYOUT_SECTION>

2.          FIELD_TITLE

</TITLE_ONLY_LAYOUT_SECTION>

<HEADING_LAYOUT_SECTION>

FIELD_TITLE

</HEADING_LAYOUT_SECTION>

<TITLED_COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

FIELD_TITLE

FIELD_SUMMARY

</TITLED_COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

<COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

FIELD_SUMMARY

</COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

 

<SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>

2.1          FIELD_TITLE

FIELD_SUMMARY

</SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>

 

<TITLE_ONLY_SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>

2.2          FIELD_TITLE

</TITLE_ONLY_SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>