Concise Minutes - Petitions Committee


Meeting Venue:

Committee Room 1 - Senedd

Meeting date: Tuesday, 15 November 2016

Meeting time: 09.03 - 09.44
This meeting can be viewed
on Senedd TV at:
http://senedd.tv/en/3791


Attendance

Category

Names

Assembly Members:

Mike Hedges AM (Chair)

Gareth Bennett AM

Janet Finch-Saunders AM

Neil McEvoy AM

Witnesses:

Committee Staff:

Graeme Francis (Clerk)

Kayleigh Driscoll (Deputy Clerk)

Kath Thomas (Deputy Clerk)

Lisa Salkeld (Legal Adviser)

 

<AI1>

1       Introduction, apologies, substitutions and declarations of interest

The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting. There were no apologies.

 

</AI1>

<AI2>

2       New petitions

</AI2>

<AI3>

2.1   P-05-717 Establish Statutory Public Rights of Access to Land and Water for Recreational and Other Purposes

The Committee considered the petition for the first time and agreed to write to the Cabinet Secretary for Environment and Rural Affairs to share the petitioner’s recent comments and ask to be kept informed when the scope and timetable for developing reform proposals are finalised next year.

 

</AI3>

<AI4>

2.2   P-05-720 Hirwaun and Penderyn Community Council Petition for the Installation of Fibre Optic Broadband

The Committee considered correspondence on the petition and agreed to await the views of the petitioner before deciding whether to take any further action.

 

</AI4>

<AI5>

3       Updates to previous petitions

</AI5>

<AI6>

3.1   P-04-436 Government Expenditure and Revenue Wales

The Committee considered correspondence on the petition and agreed to congratulate the petitioner on the successful outcome of his campaign and close the petition.

 

</AI6>

<AI7>

3.2   P-04-532 Improving specialised neuromuscular services in Wales

The Committee considered correspondence on the petition and agreed to ask the Health, Social Care and Sport Committee to share a copy of the Cabinet Secretary for Health Well-being and Sport’s response when received, and seek further views from the petitioner at that point.

 

</AI7>

<AI8>

3.3   P-04-659 Pay Student Nurses Their Full Travel Costs

The Committee agreed to close the petition, given that the petitioner has not responded to a number of requests for their views on previous correspondence received over the past six months.

 

 

 

</AI8>

<AI9>

3.4   P-04-682 Routine Screening for Type 1 Diabetes in Children and Young People

The Committee considered correspondence on the petition and agreed to:

 

·         obtain additional evidence from Diabetes UK Cymru;

·         await any response that the Health, Social Care and Sport Committee receives from the Children and Young People’s Wales Diabetes Network; and

·         use these as the basis for a further letter to the Cabinet Secretary for Health, Wellbeing and Sport.

 

</AI9>

<AI10>

3.5   P-04-556 No to Junction 41 closure

The Committee considered the recent statement from the Cabinet Secretary for Economy and Infrastructure and agreed to congratulate the petitioners on the successful outcome of their campaign and close the petition.

 

</AI10>

<AI11>

3.6   P-04-667 Roundabout for the A477/ A4075 Junction

The Committee considered correspondence on the petition and agreed to await the results of the audit and the petitioner’s reaction to these before deciding on any further action.

 

</AI11>

<AI12>

3.7   P-04-670 Owain Glyndwr Motion Picture

The Committee agreed to close the petition, given that the petitioner has not responded to a number of requests for their views on previous correspondence received over the past six months.

 

</AI12>

<AI13>

3.8   P-04-688  TATA Steel Port Talbot Power Plant

The Committee considered correspondence on the petition and given the ongoing work on this issue, and the recent attention of another Committee, agreed to keep a watching brief. 

 

 

 

</AI13>

<AI14>

3.9   P-05-709 The Circuit of Wales

The Committee considered correspondence on the petition and agreed to write to the Cabinet Secretary for Economy and Infrastructure to make him aware of the petitioner’s recent comments and seek an update on the latest developments.

 

</AI14>

<AI15>

3.10P-04-648 Unconventional Oil and Gas Planning Applications

The Committee considered correspondence on the petition and agreed to await the progress of the Wales Bill before revisiting the issue with the Welsh Government.

 

</AI15>

<AI16>

3.18P-05-705 Encourage Planning Committees to Ensure that Planning Decisions Take Due Regard of the Impact on, or Closure of Local Community Groups and Voluntary Organisations

The Committee considered correspondence on the petition and agreed to:

 

·         await the views of the petitioner on the response from the Cabinet Secretary for Environment and Rural Affairs; and

·         write to the Wales Council for Voluntary Action (WCVA) to seek their views on the scale of the issues raised by the petition.

 

</AI16>

<AI17>

3.12P-04-673 Call for all Welsh Political Parties to Offer Everything Bilingually

The Committee agreed to close the petition, given that the petitioner has not responded to a number of requests for their views on previous correspondence received over the past six months.

 

</AI17>

<AI18>

3.13P-04-679 Remove the Welsh Baccalaureate Qualification

The Committee considered correspondence on the petition and agreed to give the petitioner a further opportunity to comment on the correspondence from the then Minister for Education and Skills.

 

 

 

</AI18>

<AI19>

3.14P-04-675 Cover the Cost of the Bedroom Tax in Wales

The Committee agreed to close the petition, given that the petitioner has not responded to a number of requests for their views on previous correspondence received over the past six months.

 

</AI19>

<AI20>

4       Motion under Standing Order 17.42 to resolve to exclude the public from the meeting for the following business:

The motion was agreed.

 

</AI20>

<AI21>

5       Forward Work Programme

The Committee considered its forward work programme.

 

</AI21>

<TRAILER_SECTION>

</TRAILER_SECTION>

<LAYOUT_SECTION>

1.FIELD_TITLE

FIELD_SUMMARY

</LAYOUT_SECTION>

<TITLE_ONLY_LAYOUT_SECTION>

2.FIELD_TITLE

</TITLE_ONLY_LAYOUT_SECTION>

<HEADING_LAYOUT_SECTION>

FIELD_TITLE

</HEADING_LAYOUT_SECTION>

<TITLED_COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

FIELD_TITLE

FIELD_SUMMARY

</TITLED_COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

<COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

FIELD_SUMMARY

</COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

 

<SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>

2.1FIELD_TITLE

FIELD_SUMMARY

</SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>

 

<TITLE_ONLY_SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>

2.2FIELD_TITLE

</TITLE_ONLY_SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>