Concise Minutes - Legislation, Justice and Constitution Committee


Meeting Venue:

Committee Room 4

Meeting date: Monday, 20 June 2022

Meeting time: 13.00 - 16.02
This meeting can be viewed
on Senedd TV at:
http://senedd.tv/en/12868


Hybrid

------

Attendance

Category

Names

Members of the Senedd:

Huw Irranca-Davies MS (Chair)

Rhys ab Owen MS

Alun Davies MS

James Evans MS

Witnesses:

Mick Antoniw MS, Counsel General and Minister for the Constitution

Piers Bisson, Welsh Government

Dr Robert Parry, Welsh Government

Adam Turbervill, Welsh Government

Committee Staff:

P Gareth Williams (Clerk)

Gerallt Roberts (Second Clerk)

Sarah Sargent (Second Clerk)

Claire Fiddes (Deputy Clerk)

Gareth Howells (Legal Adviser)

 

<AI1>

1       Introductions, apologies, substitutions and declarations of interest

There were no apologies or substitutions.

</AI1>

<AI2>

2       Scrutiny session with the Counsel General and Minister for the Constitution

The Committee received evidence from the Counsel General and Minister for the Constitution in relation to matters within his remit.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Counsel General and Minister for the Constitution.

</AI2>

<AI3>

3       Instruments that raise no reporting issues under Standing Order 21.2 or 21.3

</AI3>

<AI4>

Made Negative Resolution Instruments

 

</AI4>

<AI5>

3.1   SL(6)205 - The Transition from Primary to Secondary School (Wales) Regulations 2022

The Committee considered the instrument and was content.

</AI5>

<AI6>

3.2   SL(6)208 - The Food and Feed (Fukushima Restrictions) (Revocation) (Wales) Regulations 2022

The Committee considered the instrument and was content.

</AI6>

<AI7>

Affirmative Resolution Instruments

</AI7>

<AI8>

3.3   SL(6)206 - The Curriculum and Assessment (Wales) Act 2021 (Consequential Amendments) (Primary Legislation) Regulations 2022

The Committee considered the instrument and was content.

</AI8>

<AI9>

4       Instruments that raise issues to be reported to the Senedd under Standing Order 21.2 or 21.3

</AI9>

<AI10>

Made Negative Resolution Instruments

 

</AI10>

<AI11>

4.1   SL(6)207 - The Novel Foods (Authorisations) and Smoke Flavourings (Modification of Authorisations) (Wales) Regulations 2022

The Committee considered the instrument and agreed to report to the Senedd in line with the reporting points identified.

</AI11>

<AI12>

4.2   SL(6)209 - The Meat Preparations (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2022

The Committee considered the instrument and agreed to report to the Senedd in line with the reporting points identified.

</AI12>

<AI13>

5       Common frameworks

</AI13>

<AI14>

5.1   Correspondence from the Chair of the Health and Social Care Committee to the Deputy Minister for Mental Health and Wellbeing: Food Compositional Standards and Labelling provisional common framework

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Chair of the Health and Social Care Committee to the Deputy Minister for Mental Health and Wellbeing.

</AI14>

<AI15>

5.2   Correspondence from the Chair of the Health and Social Care Committee to the Minister for Health and Social Services: Provisional common frameworks

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Chair of the Health and Social Care Committee to the Minister for Health and Social Services.

</AI15>

<AI16>

6       Inter-Institutional Relations Agreement

</AI16>

<AI17>

6.1   Correspondence from the Counsel General and Minister for the Constitution: Inter-Ministerial Standing Committee

The Committee noted the correspondence from the First Minister and from the Counsel General and Minister for the Constitution and agreed to respond in advance of the next IMSC meeting, scheduled to take place on 29 June.

</AI17>

<AI18>

6.2   Correspondence from the Minister for Finance and Local Government: Finance Inter-ministerial Standing Committee

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister for Finance and Local Government.

</AI18>

<AI19>

6.3   Correspondence from the Minister for Finance and Local Government: Outcome of the Interministerial Group meeting for Housing, Communities and Local Government

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister for Finance and Local Government.

</AI19>

<AI20>

6.4   Correspondence from the Minister for Economy: Provision of written summaries of issues discussed at interministerial meetings

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister for the Economy.

</AI20>

<AI21>

7       Papers to note

</AI21>

<AI22>

7.1   Written Statement by the Counsel General and Minister for the Constitution: Independent Commission on the Constitutional Future of Wales - Appointment of Expert Panel

The Committee noted the Written Statement by the Counsel General and Minister for the Constitution.

</AI22>

<AI23>

7.2   Correspondence from the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Justice: Invitation to attend the Committee

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Justice.

</AI23>

<AI24>

8       Motion under Standing Order 17.42 to resolve to exclude the public from the remainder of the meeting

The Committee agreed the motion.

</AI24>

<AI25>

9       Scrutiny session with the Counsel General and Minister for the Constitution - consideration of evidence

The Committee considered the evidence received from the Counsel General and Minister for the Constitution.

</AI25>

<AI26>

10    The EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement

The Committee considered key issues relating to the UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement and discussed its early findings resulting from the Committee’s first year in operation. The Committee also agreed to submit a response to the House of Commons’ European Scrutiny Committee inquiry on ‘The UK's EU representation: what has changed and how is it working?’.

</AI26>

<AI27>

11    International agreements considered on 6 June 2022 - consideration of draft report

The Committee considered and agreed its draft report on the international agreements considered on 6 June 2022.

</AI27>

<AI28>

12    Forward work programme

The Committee considered matters in relation to its forward work programme.

</AI28>

<TRAILER_SECTION>

</TRAILER_SECTION>

<LAYOUT_SECTION>

1.          FIELD_TITLE

FIELD_SUMMARY

</LAYOUT_SECTION>

<TITLE_ONLY_LAYOUT_SECTION>

2.          FIELD_TITLE

</TITLE_ONLY_LAYOUT_SECTION>

<HEADING_LAYOUT_SECTION>

FIELD_TITLE

</HEADING_LAYOUT_SECTION>

<TITLED_COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

FIELD_TITLE

FIELD_SUMMARY

</TITLED_COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

<COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

FIELD_SUMMARY

</COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

 

<SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>

2.1          FIELD_TITLE

FIELD_SUMMARY

</SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>

 

<TITLE_ONLY_SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>

2.2          FIELD_TITLE

</TITLE_ONLY_SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>